Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Easy Drunkards Path, No curves to sew. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/easy-drunkards-path-no-curves-sew-t97652.html)

Carol Wilson 02-07-2011 02:35 PM

I recently posted my Drunkards Path Quilt which a lot of people liked but commented how difficult it would be to sew all the curves.

I cheated, you don't need to sew ANY curves using this method.

I used the following measurements.

Cut 1st fabric into a 7 inch Square, mark the centre.

Cut 2nd fabric into 4 3/4 inch circle mark the centre.

Make yourself a 4 inch circle template using cardboard (not too stiff)

Sew gathering stitches about 1/4 of an inch around the edge of the circle of fabric.

Place 4 inch template inside the circle of fabric pull up the gathering stitches so it folds over the edge of your template. Press. Carefully remove the cardboard template.

Place circle of fabric over square fabric (right sides facing up) lining up the centres.

Machine sew or hand sew circle to square then cut into four equal parts, VOILA, no curves to sew.

I told you I cheated, this method was invented by a lady in Western Australia many years ago.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-07-2011 03:00 PM

Cheating can be a GOOD thing!! :D
Thanks for the info!!!

PattyH 02-08-2011 04:21 AM

I just made a baby quilt using this method. However, I didn't use the gathering stitch. I made a plastic template (heat proof), 1/4 inch smaller than my circle, and placed it on my circle pieces and "painted" the edge with spray starch. I ironed down the edges over the template and then used Sharon Schambers method of glueing down the piece, heat setting and then sewing with a tiny zigzag stitch. Came out great and was fast to do. The pattern was called Rainbow Garden and right now I don't know the author since I'm not in my sewing room.

ann clare 02-08-2011 06:12 AM

Clever. Thanks for sharing.

pinkypig 02-08-2011 07:43 AM

thanks for the tip. fyi...how cool is it that we not only share a love of quilting but share the same name...Carol Wilson, nice to meet you.

millivanillisask 02-08-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson
I recently posted my Drunkards Path Quilt which a lot of people liked but commented how difficult it would be to sew all the curves.

I cheated, you don't need to sew ANY curves using this method.

I used the following measurements.

Cut 1st fabric into a 7 inch Square, mark the centre.

Cut 2nd fabric into 4 3/4 inch circle mark the centre.

Make yourself a 4 inch circle template using cardboard (not too stiff)

Sew gathering stitches about 1/4 of an inch around the edge of the circle of fabric.

Place 4 inch template inside the circle of fabric pull up the gathering stitches so it folds over the edge of your template. Press. Carefully remove the cardboard template.

Place circle of fabric over square fabric (right sides facing up) lining up the centres.

Machine sew or hand sew circle to square then cut into four equal parts, VOILA, no curves to sew.

I told you I cheated, this method was invented by a lady in Western Australia many years ago.

Love this method I did the Eleanor Burns method with the fusible interfacing. Love your quilt. ;-) ;-) ;-)

LMB 02-08-2011 09:51 AM

Thank you sooooo much. I would never ever have thought this up in a million years. I really have to try this~

Carol Wilson 02-08-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by pinkypig
thanks for the tip. fyi...how cool is it that we not only share a love of quilting but share the same name...Carol Wilson, nice to meet you.

Were you born on Christmas Day too?

What are your dogs on your Avatar, Boston Terriers? I have Springer Spaniels.

pinkypig 02-08-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson

Originally Posted by pinkypig

Were you born on Christmas Day too?

What are your dogs on your Avatar, Boston Terriers? I have Springer Spaniels.

nope, born in February, yes, Boston Terriers

klarina 02-08-2011 03:13 PM

It sounds much easier than the traditional method.
thanks,