Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   easy fool-proof sawtooth star (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/easy-fool-proof-sawtooth-star-t251907.html)

judy363905 08-16-2014 12:40 PM

Great tip thank you :)

Judy in. Phx, AZ

Anne P 08-16-2014 08:08 PM

Very nicely done! I'm in the process of making 17 Sawtooth stars for a quilt for my DH for Christmas. I don't have the option of making the geese blocks over sized because I'm using fabric left over from a quilt I make for MIL last Christmas. The fabric is from my FIL's shirts. He passed away a couple of years ago and MIL gave me his shirts when I asked. She thought I was just going to add them to my stash, which I did - but with a purpose! I based it on Bonnie Hunter's pattern "Swing Your Partner" from her Scraps and Shirttails book since they were avid square dancers!. I had planned to make a pieced back for her quilt and had cut 10" blocks, to which I would need to add some pieced blocks and some other fabric to make it big enough. I decided instead to use a backing fabric, but had those 10" blocks left. A comment DH made about her quilt when it was done lead me to decided to make him one with the left overs, of which he knew nothing.

I'm using Eleanor Burns' method and it's working OK, but just slivers left to trim. Since I have to work on it when DH won't come into the studio, I have to do it at night after he goes to bed. Fortunately, I'm a night owl and stay up a couple of hours later than he does anyway so that's my time to work on his quilt. I don't think he would recognize the shirt fabric so much but I'm supplementing with a variety of airplane prints to make it big enough and he'd definitely perk up at that! He's an airplane buff and aeronautical engineer, hence the airplane fabric.

At any rate, your blocks are beautiful. I want to make some with the nine patch center eventually for something. Thanks for sharing.

judykay 08-17-2014 08:22 AM

I like your idea, when ever possible I feel it is best to have a little more and trim back than not enough.

coopah 08-17-2014 10:27 AM

You are one smart cookie to figure that out!

BETTY62 08-17-2014 10:35 AM

Thank you for this hint. I am going to follow your advise because it seems like I never end up with enough seam allowance to have nice points after adding the sashing.

I love your scrappy blocks. Very nicely done.

MargeD 08-17-2014 12:06 PM

Nice job, whatever floats your boat works.

solstice3 08-17-2014 05:47 PM

Thanks! I was just about to start looking for directions for that block

Twisted Quilter 08-18-2014 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 6846055)
I cut these pieces at least 1/4" wider, usually 1/2" wider to make sure I have plenty of room. You can see in the top block how uneven the edges are. But when you press it and center the square on the block, you get a perfect block with the correct 1/4" seam allowance.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!

tammyg 08-18-2014 09:11 AM

Thanks for sharing this..... well done.....

luvstoquilt301 08-19-2014 05:35 AM

Now that is brilliant!