Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Fabric Boxes with French Seams Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/fabric-boxes-french-seams-tutorial-t235889.html)

judylg 12-22-2013 11:00 AM

I have been thinking about hopefully doing one just a bit taller than I did with the one from last night. I have a 16 1/2 inch square ruler and will use that as a guide. I hesitate to do it way larger as I think I may have a slightly not as stiff box as I would like and I will keep it in mind the triangle/ seam is the height. Now I have to go do dishes.

thimblebug6000 12-22-2013 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been wanting to make one of these and tonight I did! I used the original site at the beginning but cut my square at 13" because that was what fabric I had. After turning & quilting... I chose randomly to measure up 2 ½" from the corners & drew my diagonal....stitched on there and then again 1/4" away.... and trimmed off to the 1/8th" marking.... whew... then followed the directions here & ended up with a little fabric box the exact size that holds a toilet paper roll! [ATTACH=CONFIG]452910[/ATTACH]

SewExtremeSeams 12-22-2013 06:08 PM

Excellent Thimble!!!! It looks great. Thank you for posting a photo.

judylg 12-22-2013 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=thimblebug6000;6469639]I've been wanting to make one of these and tonight I did! I used the original site at the beginning but cut my square at 13" because that was what fabric I had. After turning & quilting... I chose randomly to measure up 2 ½" from the corners & drew my diagonal....stitched on there and then again 1/4" away.... and trimmed off to the 1/8th" marking.... whew... then followed the directions here & ended up with a little fabric box the exact size that holds a toilet paper roll! [ATTACH=CONFIG]452910[/ATTACH][/QUOTE

Perfect, now that is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Quilter 65 01-12-2014 04:18 PM

Thank you. This has a "neater" interior and I think I would really like this. Made several but didn't use this method yet.

lizzy 01-13-2014 05:03 AM

Thanks for the tutorial. I am definitely going to try this with some of my extra fabric. Pictures help.

pjnesler 10-22-2014 04:19 AM

Nice lesson on making these fabric boxes - will for sure keep this in mind for the holidays!

Mgrubbs 10-22-2014 03:44 PM

Fabric boxes

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 6435383)
Haven't made any of these yet, but think I'll use your technique when I do, thanks!

Fabric boxes are neat. I made a dozen or more last Christmas. Someone asked what to do with the corner cutoff---
I arranged the raw edges together to form a square and zigzagged the seams to make a mug rug or coaster. Really is easy or you can use it then as a "topper" to the box, or as a coaster to the box. Also I like the French seams on the outside of the box, holds up better and leaves more space inside. Make smaller boxes to hold cards of buttons, bottle of shampoo, tissue paper for bathroom, cookies, most anything! Marilyn

SewExtremeSeams 10-23-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mgrubbs (Post 6939553)
Fabric boxes are neat. I made a dozen or more last Christmas. Someone asked what to do with the corner cutoff---
I arranged the raw edges together to form a square and zigzagged the seams to make a mug rug or coaster. Really is easy or you can use it then as a "topper" to the box, or as a coaster to the box. Also I like the French seams on the outside of the box, holds up better and leaves more space inside. Make smaller boxes to hold cards of buttons, bottle of shampoo, tissue paper for bathroom, cookies, most anything! Marilyn

I would love to see a photo of what you did with the corners. I haven't thrown any of mine away because they are already sandwiched and quilted. A present topper sounds terrific. Hope you will post a photo here or on a separate thread.

mooretll 10-27-2014 01:44 AM

love this thanks