Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Fabric covered needlework box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/fabric-covered-needlework-box-t28902.html)

roolen 11-18-2009 03:29 AM

Lacelad, thank you for the great tute !

Rainybug 11-18-2009 04:43 AM

They are all lovely boxes! And what a great quilty gift idea, too. :D

Butterflyspain 11-18-2009 06:00 AM

Lesley, thank you so much for such a wonderful tute, I looked into buying one of these not so long ago because I thought they were so pretty.

Thanks for taking the time and all the effort photgraphing this for us.

Elle (another one in my file to make one day)

sandpat 11-18-2009 06:07 AM

Thank you LL! This is a great Tute! I wanna make one...as soon as I have a moment... :D

Lacelady 11-18-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Thank you LL! This is a great Tute! I wanna make one...as soon as I have a moment... :D

Hmm, Patti, it took a mite longer than a moment, LOL. It was a two day workshop, 10am - 4pm. We had already stitched our gussets, gathered pockets and strips in advance, to save time. I finished my box about 2pm the second day, then spent the next couple of hours helping some of the others.

Having said all that, quite a lot of time is spent in glueing, and you could make one in a few eveings in front of the TV.

Lacelady 11-18-2009 03:18 PM

Cutebuns has already said that she is thinking of doing a machine embroidered top for one of these boxes, and I intend to make a second one with a machine quilted lid (done on my emb. module) - I have several designs approx 6in diameter.

Don't forget these boxes can be for other uses too. What about one for babies, (cotton balls, cotton buds, pacifiers, powder etc.) We have several new Grandmas on the board at the moment.

Or as an extra special gift box filled with bathroom products, soaps etc. that can be used for needlework once the bathroom things have been removed.

Once I have made my second one for a gift, I intend to make a larger one for me, perhaps 10in across. I have a large print on order to fussy cut the lid, and will use two hexagon cards stuck together before covering for this, to give some more strength. Whatever size you end up doing, just remember to make the lining cards about .25in smaller all around than the outside card shapes. And please post pics when you have done them. PLEASE.

sandpat 11-18-2009 04:35 PM

Ummm, yes, I do realize that it will take longer than a moment, but see....I need that 1st moment to get all sucked into the project, then I'll stick with it to the end. Now, don't make me committ to when that moment will be, but hopefully not too long from now. I do love the boxes!

3incollege 11-18-2009 05:30 PM

I would like to make this for sure. Thanks so much for this project.

Chele 11-18-2009 05:51 PM

Absolutely wonderful! You make it look easy! I can't wait to try one. Thank you for the tute!

Lacelady 11-19-2009 08:56 AM

OK, ladies, who is going to be first to jump in and make a start?