Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   FMQ Design for French Braid Accent Squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/fmq-design-french-braid-accent-squares-t198851.html)

azwendyg 08-27-2012 03:51 PM

FMQ Design for French Braid Accent Squares

2 Attachment(s)
OK, so I'm not sure if this qualifies as a tutorial or not, but here goes...

I spend quite a bit of time figuring out FMQing designs/motifs to use on my quilted pieces using my domestic machine. I only started FMQing 3 years ago or so, have spent a ton of time practicing in addition to quilting assorted quilt tops, tote bags/purses, table runners, and consider myself an "intermediate" level FMQuilter at this point. I've still got a lot to learn but feel like I'm developing my own preferences style.

I want to share with you the process I went through to come up with a "new" design. Please let me know if you like to see this kind of information. If you all enjoy seeing it, I can post more as I work on projects...

This is a design I made up and it evolved into what it is after spending a couple of hours designing/practicing with a pencil and sketch pad. (I know...this design is pretty simple...why did it take so long...LOL)

Yesterday I pieced and sandwiched a french braid table runner for a wedding gift, quilted some of my favorite feathers up the "braids", and I've been working on coming up with a FMQing motif to use in the 2" accent squares. (I have it drawn up and will post a pick of it stitched out tonight or tomorrow on this same thread.)

This first picture shows the process of drawing/stitching out the design a step at a time:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358427[/ATTACH]

And this one is a sketch of the placement on the accent squares:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]358428[/ATTACH]

Feel free to copy and use as desired!

thimblebug6000 08-27-2012 04:22 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this little tute! Neat idea!

jillnjo 08-27-2012 04:33 PM

Thanks and I'm watching!!

RUSewing 08-27-2012 05:16 PM

Been tracimg your diagram one step at a time, now I can't wait to try it! Thanks :)

quiltingcurious 08-27-2012 05:16 PM

There are always many inquires about FMQ, alot of the questions are on what you use to mark your design that is safe for the fabric, how you mark the design, what direction you begin to stitch and how you proceed to the next block, when do you retrace the design to move on to the next design. If you retrace too much the thread builds up.
Thank you for showing how you complete your design, I'm sure it will be helpful to many that have questions on FMQ.

nstitches4u 08-27-2012 05:54 PM

Thanks for sharing your design. I'm a beginning FMQer and I need all the practice I can get! LOL. I appreciate your taking the time to write this tutorial.

azwendyg 08-27-2012 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here it is stitched out on the 2" accent squares:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]358476[/ATTACH]

promenades 08-28-2012 03:29 AM

Thanks for sharing. You are very talented!

DFegan 08-28-2012 04:31 AM

Thanks for sharing. I really like this design.

emt2004 08-28-2012 04:46 AM

would love to see more designs! Michele