Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Height adjustable desk that can recess a machine - it's true! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/height-adjustable-desk-can-recess-machine-its-true-t216324.html)

ArchaicArcane 03-20-2013 12:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, a little late, but as promised, here are some photos of the other inserts in use:
Pfaff 6122, as an Open Arm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403004[/ATTACH]

Pfaff as Flat bed:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403009[/ATTACH]

FW 222 as Flat bed:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403007[/ATTACH]

FW 222 as Open Arm:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403008[/ATTACH]

SewExtremeSeams 03-23-2013 07:28 AM

Wow, terrific!

RkayD 06-10-2013 09:53 AM

This is just the best idea ever. I love the idea of changing inserts to accommodate each machine. Any table that you are willing to cut can be used. My hub is gonna love this. =) Thank you for sharing.

How do you cut the inserts to fit each machine? Thats the one thing that my brain can't figure out.

ArchaicArcane 06-10-2013 10:37 AM

Thanks!! I have been using the desk for a couple of months now, and I think there's only one modification coming, and that's a better method of cable management. Currently, I string the cables up under the shelf and onto the machine platform. The other day, I left a cord sitting on the platform, and cranked the platform up, and pinched the cord. I will try to come up with another method. I may use those long narrow inserts for it.

The cutting itself is using drill bits (for the corners) and either a table saw, router, or jigsaw, depending on what you find you're most accurate with. (or what you have available) Then smooth with either a belt sander, sanding block, or some people use a propane torch (seriously!)

As for marking them, I put the cut template (cut to the outside dimensions) under the machine, then traced it with a dry erase marker. That's your cutting guide. I usually cut smaller and snuck up on the size. It takes longer, but typically it takes less time than having to re-cut because you cut too big. ;)

I think there's a good chance too that a glass shop may cut them better than I did, especially in the corners.

bearisgray 06-10-2013 10:55 AM

Awesome!!!!

RkayD 06-10-2013 11:02 AM

How about bolting a power strip underneath?

ArchaicArcane 06-10-2013 11:18 AM

I already have that. :thumbup:

The problem comes in that the cord for the machine needs to be on top of the platform, and above the level of the desk for most of the machines. So the way to bring power from the bottom, where the power strip is, to the top, means it has to be strung up and over the platform the machines live on. Because the platform is wider than the opening, I leave a cord pinch hazard. That's what I'm trying to work out. :) The other thing I could do is notch the platform with a slot big enough to accommodate the cords, and then not have to worry about pinching them.

Actually, I like that better, because it's cleaner. I like having the cords hidden, and not on the desk when sewing.