Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Homemade spray glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/homemade-spray-glue-t214212.html)

Wyldwytch 03-06-2013 01:49 PM

The problem with the rubbing alcohol is it will evaporate over time therefore losing any antiseptic type properties.The flour when mixed with the alcohol will create sugars that will invite mold formation.

Sounds like a great idea, but wouldn't use it on something that might not be able to be washed shortly after using since even relative humidity will affect mold formation.

Rosie the Wyldwytch

Originally Posted by MrsBeasley (Post 5876184)
Hmmm. I've only been using this for a few months, (I'm strip piecing a QAYG) I've never noticed a problem w/ mold. I would have thought the rubbing alcohol would have prevented this. Something I've gotta watch for. Thanks.

OHSue 03-06-2013 03:09 PM

Thanks so much for posting this, I will have to give it a try. I really like the idea that it doesn't contain a lot of unknown chemicals. But I might have to explain that alcohol smell coming from my sewing area.... my husband might think that my frustrations have led me to drink!

carslo 03-18-2013 06:22 AM

Just an update on how I made the spray - hope it is okay to post here Mrs. Beasley! I tried the pinch of flour at a time but I still had a lumpy mess ( I used to have trouble with gravy too.) I started over again but only boiled 2 cups of water and took the remaining cup of water and flour and put it in my gravy shaker - you know the one from Tupperware or even the 99 cent store. I shook it up and then whisked it into the semi-boiling water. This worked like a charm :) and when it was cooled I followed the rest of the instructions and went down and did a wall quilt and a lap quilt using this new spray glue. Thanks again for another alternative for basting.

oksewglad 03-18-2013 06:43 AM

carslo--I was wondering about doing that too as I made it the tedious pinch at a time way. I have used it on several baby quilts recently and not a ripple or tuck in the finished product. Before I give them away, I wash with colorless, scentless detergent and dry them. Next put them in a large zip lock bag to keep them clean. I used from my sprayer again last night, but added another T. of alcohol to make up for the evaporation.

carslo 03-18-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 5936357)
carslo--I was wondering about doing that too as I made it the tedious pinch at a time way. I have used it on several baby quilts recently and not a ripple or tuck in the finished product. Before I give them away, I wash with colorless, scentless detergent and dry them. Next put them in a large zip lock bag to keep them clean. I used from my sprayer again last night, but added another T. of alcohol to make up for the evaporation.

I always wash my quilts when finished with Color Catchers too. I can see any flaws that need to be corrected and like the vintage look :) Thanks for the heads up on my rubbing alcohol!

oksewglad 03-18-2013 09:29 AM

Yes color catchers a must. I prewash and dry my fabrics and still amazed at the color I caught when I washed--had reds in all the quilts so definitely necessary!

nannyrick 03-18-2013 09:49 AM

That is very interesting!!! Gotta try it. Thanks for sharing.

cherylmae 03-31-2013 07:26 AM

Thank you for this post, as I will definitely use it.

darlin121 04-08-2013 11:15 AM

this is really interesting, I'm gonna give it a go and see what my results are.

ljptexas 04-08-2013 11:20 AM

This remembers me of the days when we made our own glue. Flour & water....(says my age?)