Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Izy's way of doing freezer paper applique! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/izys-way-doing-freezer-paper-applique-t233140.html)

Izy 11-03-2013 02:09 AM

Thanks, Deb, Rhonda and Quilting D, hoping to see results of you all trying this method out soon! :)

eyes 11-14-2013 04:52 PM

Love your tute. It's easy enough to understand even for a beginner. That would be me!

Rodney 11-28-2013 04:14 PM

Thanks Izy! Great tutorial!
I'm a beginner and I love the possibilities of applique but was scared off because it looked so hard to do. Your way looks like something I should be able to handle with some practice.
Rodney

annievee 11-28-2013 04:26 PM

Love this way of doing it--thank you !

Rodney 11-28-2013 06:50 PM

Probably a stupid question, but would it work to just make a slit in the backing to remove the paper then add more batting inside the applique? I'm wondering if it would give the applique a more 3-dimensional effect.
Thanks,
Rodney

Izy 11-29-2013 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6429046)
Probably a stupid question, but would it work to just make a slit in the backing to remove the paper then add more batting inside the applique? I'm wondering if it would give the applique a more 3-dimensional effect.
Thanks,
Rodney

Great Idea Rodney, this is called trapunto and will work a treat, don't forget to post pictures and let me know when you try it! :)

Rodney 12-03-2013 09:18 AM

Thanks Izy. It's going to be a while. I have at least two other quilts I need to finish in front of my ideas for applique. There are a couple kid's quilts I want to make where raised applique might be a nice detail.
That's one thing I really like about quilting. If you can imagine it, you can probably do it.
Rodney

Izy 12-03-2013 11:01 AM

You're very welcome Rodney, I look forward to seeing where your imagination leads you soon! :)

JudyTheSewer 12-03-2013 01:21 PM

Thank you Izy. Your tute inspired me to use this method on a Happy Daisy quilt I'm making for my friend! It is coming along beautifully. I just didn't have the patience to do needle turn this time and since it will be for her couch I knew it would get alot of use and washings so your method is perfect.

I did a couple of things differently that I want to share. I did it this way because I am kind of lazy and didn't want to cut templates over and over again. So far I have done six blocks and the templates are in perfect condition for reuse.

- I ironed two freezer paper sheets together so that the template is a bit stiffer.

- Once the ironing has produced a beautiful curve I remove the freezer paper and use a pin drop of Elmer's School Glue on the petal points so that they stay crisp.

- I used Elmer's School Glue to attach the pieces on my background fabric. That resulted in zero shifting as I did the top stitching.

I am loving the results. Thank you so much for sharing.

Izy 12-22-2013 04:48 AM

Thanks Judy for your comments above, I didn't get a notification so sorry for the delay in replying! I will try your adaptations next time as it sounds fantastic! The only benefit from cutting out the backing is it keeps the quilt softer, but it could also be said that it is making the quilt stronger for all the washing I suppose! :D