Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/machine-stitched-cathedral-window-tutorial-t35742.html)

Nammie to 7 06-16-2015 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522593[/ATTACH]

Thought you might be interested in seeing the Cathedral Window quilt I made -- it got a ribbon at our quilt show -- Viewer's Choice - Honorable Mention. I started this years ago to see if I could do one by machine-- long before I saw this tutorial -- and finished it this year. Thanks for the tutorial -- several people have asked for a demonstration on how to do it and I had forgotten the whole process. This would be a great stash buster if a person used colored remnants with a white or black center.

Muse&Sew 06-17-2015 05:51 AM

Beautiful!

Happy Linda 06-17-2015 06:03 AM

Thanks. Very easy to understand. I'd call you a Great quilter and teacher.

Toni C 06-18-2015 03:12 AM

Thank you for this!
Toni C

mountain deb 06-24-2015 04:04 PM

You make it look so easy, I just might have to try this one. thanks.

SewingSew 09-17-2016 06:41 AM

Another great tutorial! I love his choice of fabric. Making a Cathedral Window using a sewing machine would definitely be faster than making it by hand. This makes it seem more manageable.

silverfoxmag 09-18-2016 07:46 AM

WOW! Thanks for the super easy instructions, Eddie, of years ago. Would love to make a pillow to try it out first and then a bed cover for my full sized bed. Are you still a member of QB?

Ellen 1 09-18-2016 08:27 AM

Your Cathedral Window

Originally Posted by Eddie (Post 769925)
I've started working on a cathedral window (CW) quilt and was asked to do a tutorial on making it. So, here it is! ............(more)..........

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!! What a great tutorial. Love the very clear pictures to make the process clear.

Now for my questions:

1. Several years ago you posted the start of a batik CW (I think this is the one or you have used a similar color for this one. At the time, you said you would post again when it was finished. Did you ever post the completed quilt??? If so I missed it and wonder if you have photos you could re-post?

2. I wonder if you ever heard/saw Shelley Swanland's book, Machine-Stitched Cathedral Windows? It is a great technique to piece the "windows" along with the background in one process. However, your tutorial is so much easier to understand. Especially for the beginner quilter. I saw her demonstrate this on Simply Quilts, but had I not seen it done I would not have gotten the hang of it via the book.

3. I have never seen a CW with a border and binding before. Is the some new trend? Or have I only seen unfinished quilts??? (I made one block in 1972 by hand and said, "no way" can I make a full bed size quilt with this pattern, even though I coveted it)!!

Because I am posting on page 43, I hope you are still following up on questions. I have enjoyed reading your responses.

Thank you.

Ellen

Ellen 1 09-18-2016 08:33 AM

OOP's-I forgot to add, "thank you to Juneayerza for creating the .pdf". You have saved me a few hours of doing this. Also to slbram17 for posting the .pdf. (I hope this was ok with Eddie!!)

Ellen

Eddie 10-14-2016 03:07 PM

Hi Ellen!

Sorry to be so late in replying! That batik CW project is sadly still a UFO. Maybe it will get to the done pile someday. Seems there is just too much to do!

I haven't seen that book you referred to above, although I have a couple of CW books by Lynn Edwards that are excellent. If you don't have them and can find them I would highly encourage you to acquire them, they are well worth the money.

The one CW quilt that I've finished I put a binding on it because the edge feels "flimsy" without it and I think it needs it just to prevent the blocks from coming apart at the edge where they would be handled a lot.

Thanks for the kind words and your query!

Eddie