Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Make a Big Ironing Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/make-big-ironing-board-t57168.html)

craftybear 08-21-2010 03:12 PM

cool thank you

sew wishful 08-21-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
My LQS gals made these for their classroom. However I was told to be sure to drill holes in the plywood about every 4 - 6 inches to allow steam to go through. Assuming you use steam in your iron. They were burning out their Rowenta irons after a couple months and couldn't figure out why. Somehow the steam backs up or something and will damage the iron. If you look at a regular board it does have holes in the surface. So DH drilled holes in mine and so far I haven't had a problem.

I use the old wooden ironing boards and there are no holes in them..I think the wooden ones will not be a problem with burning up irons. I also bought a second board at a thrift shop (wooden again) and have that just for clothes. So my homemade big board sits over my regular ironing board...so far no problem!!

craftiladi 10-24-2010 07:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Look what I finally got my Honey to make for me yesterday. I am lovin it already. Yep after he read everyones tips yesterday, here my end result for my very own big ironing board. Thanks for all the great posts-all were very helpful.

Under side 62 x 25
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110810[/ATTACH]

Joan 10-24-2010 08:00 AM

Good Idea!----I need one of those.

craftiladi 10-24-2010 08:05 AM

Thanks Joan, actually it was so easy, not sure why I hadn't made it myself before now.

Yarn or Fabric 10-24-2010 08:33 AM

I love mine.. I really really do... although I do want to look in to building nice sturdy yet collapsible legs to mine... It would make transporting it to sewing group a lot easier - one less thing to take with me lol.

sew wishful 10-24-2010 11:37 AM

Craftiladi...it looks as though it is a bit longer to the left than the legs so could be "end heavy". If you get a clotilde magazine there is a support you can buy/make to put under that end. Cost was less than $5 for me, cuz we had some of the parts!! It's made of the plastic sewer pipes with a flange to sit it in!! Works so slick!! Enjoy your new table top!!!

jaciqltznok 01-07-2011 04:45 PM

This is exactly how I made mine....sold it when I left AK and now I need a new one!

carolaug 01-07-2011 04:58 PM

This is such a useful tute...I just showed it to the hubby....fingers crossed hope he makes me one.

BMP 01-07-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
My LQS gals made these for their classroom. However I was told to be sure to drill holes in the plywood about every 4 - 6 inches to allow steam to go through. Assuming you use steam in your iron. They were burning out their Rowenta irons after a couple months and couldn't figure out why. Somehow the steam backs up or something and will damage the iron. If you look at a regular board it does have holes in the surface. So DH drilled holes in mine and so far I haven't had a problem.

I would be willing to bet it was more of a problem with the irons than not having holes in the ironing board. There has been numerous complaints about the Rowenta irons not lasting even under just normal use. I have gone through 2 in 18 months and I only used them to iron my husbands dress pants and shirts..I wont buy another .