Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Migrating/Staggered Geese (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/migrating-staggered-geese-t43812.html)

omak 04-24-2010 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The formula is: Two squares at a measurement for the background and one square 3/8" bigger for the geese (This will yield four migrating/staggered geese)

For the border, I needed a finished six inch border, which dictated that my background squares would be five inches, and my goose fabric would be a 5 and 3/8"

With this formula, you can pretty much figure out how big to cut your squares for the width you need.

Here is a picture of the border I created for IRR2 and what I will be teaching you to create.

omak 04-24-2010 07:47 PM

19 Attachment(s)
Shall we begin? <wave>

two background squares/ 1 square for the geese
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2007[/ATTACH]

Cut the goose fabric one time on the diagonal, corner to corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2008[/ATTACH]

place triangles, right sides together on the upper right hand corner of one background square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2009[/ATTACH]

prepare to now add a second left goose
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2010[/ATTACH]

stitch on the upper part and right hand side of the goose
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2232[/ATTACH]

cut diagonally across both fabrics from the upper right to lower left corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2233[/ATTACH]

Be sure that you keep the bottom of the goose going up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2234[/ATTACH]

I trimmed the bottom off ... this time, I very fortunately actually ended up with a 1/4" joining at the bottom ... I have not always been that blessed! LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2236[/ATTACH]

open up your geese so that the background is on the bottom. You will notice a definite left and right side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2300[/ATTACH]

place the bottom of the right side goose to the tip of the left goose
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2301[/ATTACH]

right sides together, you will stitch down the right side of the left goose, keeping seams of goose going up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2302[/ATTACH]

good idea to snip off the little dog ears before stitching so you have definite corners to stitch from
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2303[/ATTACH]

Notice - - you will be stitching with the background on top this time ... take care to insure that the goose seams keep going up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2304[/ATTACH]

right sides together, you will be stitching down the long side of the background fabric. The right goose will be on the top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2371[/ATTACH]

Press the left goose open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2372[/ATTACH]

Prepare to add the next right goose
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2373[/ATTACH]

This is the back of the piece, note the bottom of the geese going "up"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2374[/ATTACH]

Open up the right goose and prepare for your next goose from the left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2453[/ATTACH]

omak 04-24-2010 08:03 PM

I hope that this has been helpful. I surely enjoyed adding this border to the lighthouse center in the IRR2 and will look forward to doing this more often.
And, I am very thankful that when I tried to find this pattern, I found a thread already present that encouraged me to do this tutorial <wave>

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-9285-1.htm

amma 04-24-2010 08:30 PM

Thank you omak!!!! I love the looks of these geese!!! :D:D:D
I can't wait to give this a try!!!

PS I love the border you created on the IRR :D:D:D

omak 04-24-2010 09:10 PM

Thank you, Amma <wave>

craftybear 04-24-2010 10:32 PM

thanks for the tutorial!

wvdek 04-24-2010 10:54 PM

How in the world did anyone figure that technique out?

Amazing!

thequilterslink 04-25-2010 01:28 AM

Wow what an awesome border, Thank you for sharing with us.

sandpat 04-25-2010 04:50 AM

omak...I love these geese!!!! But I have a can't see good on the pic....is there a 1/4" seam allowance on the sides of the border???? Sometimes it looks like the "goose" runs all the way out to the side and I can't tell on the pic..

Kutnso 04-25-2010 05:45 AM

Wonderful border and tute but I am more interested in the curved geese on the dark blue border. Could you share this technique with us??? Thanks.
Piecefully, Kutnso