Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   My Hot Bowl holders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/my-hot-bowl-holders-t174139.html)

threads57 07-19-2012 03:31 AM

Warm and Natural makes a microwave batting. Check at fabric stores for it.

grammy of 6 07-19-2012 05:44 AM

I have copied this easy tutorial, but I have 1question. You refer to a ruler, but don't say what kind of ruler it is. Thanks for any help you can give me.

lilinmichigan 07-20-2012 06:46 AM

This might be a dumb question but i have to ask. When you say microwave safe? Is this put in the microwave under the bowl while heating it? We reheat alot of leftovers and sit holding bowls with potholders and i think this is perfect. I will be making a few, thanks for the great idea. Lil

Yarn or Fabric 07-22-2012 03:45 AM

I think I might need to try this :) Very good idea - and would be great for cold things like ice cream too :D

grammy of 6 07-22-2012 03:13 PM

Does anyone know what ruler is used?

lilinmichigan 07-23-2012 07:16 AM

hi grammy of 6, i don't think you need any special ruler. wasn't it mentioned you just measure one inch on each side of the center mark on the 4 sides and mark the line to the center??? i think?? you are just creating darts to take up the sides. i still don't get the microwaving with the bowl in it. what about boil overs? i just saw this pattern in the home-sew inc. catalog with a lid made out of oilcloth? i usually just throw a damp paper towel over my reheats to keep spatters off the microwave. I REALLY LIKE THE ICE CREAM BOWL HOLDER TIP!! lil

noahscats7 07-23-2012 09:33 AM

When I mark my batting, I mark my batting and draw the + then center with a masking tape roll. After marking 1" on each side of + lines I just draw a V down to the circle on all sides. These will be your darts. Remember I make mine 12"square.
Most times I heat the bowl of food and slide out of microwave into the holder instead of cooking in it.
We are using for ice cream this summer to keep hot hands from melting it. Good luck all and make plenty.

Rose_P 07-23-2012 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Riversong! I decided to try making one using a stray block that had no purpose in life. I had a bit of a struggle with it because I wanted to quilt it after birthing it. That was probably asking for trouble. I made the darts in each part separately. If anyone else is considering this, I'd say it's not impossible, but even with the free-arm it was tricky keeping things lined up, and I had to do a little unstitching to remove a major pucker. I'm not ready to throw it out, but it would have been a lot better to quilt just the top and batting, while flat, as the directions say. This one started out with 12 1/2" squares to accommodate the size of the block, and I also used a circle that was about an inch bigger than a CD. I used a glue stick to hold it in place before making my sandwich.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you want to use a pieced block, keep in mind that you are going to be taking the darts out of the sides, and not all blocks will look right with that alteration. This sawtooth star block had a fairly large plain area on the sides where the darts went, and with the sashing around it, it fit with most of the dart in the sashing.

alwayslearning 07-25-2012 12:03 PM

I love these holders. My variation is to "round the corners" making them less likely to hit the sides on smaller microwaves. They are also quite attractive as are the squared ones. Using already made blocks as Rose_P suggests is also a get idea!

craftybear 07-25-2012 02:39 PM

thanks for sharing the tutorial with all of us