Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Piecing the Apple Core or "Double bit ax" by hand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/piecing-apple-core-double-bit-ax-hand-t175506.html)

chickadeee55 07-04-2012 06:41 AM

Terri, that is awesome. I love it. Don't understand this pattern, but I sure love the outcome. Great job ladies.

#1piecemaker 07-04-2012 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55 (Post 5337963)
Terri, that is awesome. I love it. Don't understand this pattern, but I sure love the outcome. Great job ladies.

This pattern is really very simple. One piece fits exactly into the curve of the other one. You lay one across and the next one up and down. Once you get the hang of it, it will go faster than you think. Try it!! You can do it.

chickadeee55 07-05-2012 03:48 AM

Is this pattern hand sewn? (my eyes could never handle it.)

Is there a method for machine piecing? I have lots of civil war scraps and shirting scraps, I would think would look great like this.

#1piecemaker 07-05-2012 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55 (Post 5340146)

Is there a method for machine piecing? I have lots of civil war scraps and shirting scraps, I would think would look great like this.

Certainly you can stitch this on the machine. I just find that when sewing curves like this, it is so much easier for me to hand stitch. It is a fun pattern. Try it .... You'll like it.

Scrapper 08-02-2012 10:16 AM

Ladies, you've re-inspired me to try my hand at this....again.......I started one of these years ago (only got as far as drawing the shapes on the back of fabric) and it all felt so overwhelming I just stuffed it in a ziploc and buried it in a draw....now I want to drag it back out and try again..:shock: Thanks for the inspiration.......

#1piecemaker 08-02-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scrapper (Post 5413209)
Ladies, you've re-inspired me to try my hand at this....again.......I started one of these years ago (only got as far as drawing the shapes on the back of fabric) and it all felt so overwhelming I just stuffed it in a ziploc and buried it in a draw....now I want to drag it back out and try again..:shock: Thanks for the inspiration.......

You can do it!!! Drag those scraps out and get started!!! Need any help? Holler!

owlvamp 08-02-2012 06:09 PM

I would really love to try this as well. Not you cut out each apple core yourself right? Where do you find a pattern to help guide in he cutting? i don't own any diecut machine to this for me. But i would truely love to try this. You make it sound so easy.

terri bb 08-04-2012 06:31 AM

owlvamp, glad you saw this! i can send you a template and so can #1 as well. i think she is getting the die cut for this...you should pm her and ask her. they are fast to mark out and cut. i am almost done with my second top! it went together so much faster than the first and the stitches are so much more even and nice looking. i spose she's right with practice makes perfect! anyways, you can pm either me or #1 and we'll send you a template and get you started! awesome you want to try this!

Originally Posted by owlvamp (Post 5414106)
I would really love to try this as well. Not you cut out each apple core yourself right? Where do you find a pattern to help guide in he cutting? i don't own any diecut machine to this for me. But i would truely love to try this. You make it sound so easy.

#1piecemaker 08-04-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55 (Post 5340146)

I'm sure you can sew this on the machine. Just take your time and gently ease you fabric around into place as you go.

carolaug 04-07-2013 01:19 AM

This thread has inspired me....I bought the core die a few years back starting making a few rows but stopped and them ended up recutting the pieces into a different shape for my tumblers. But after seeing this post I think I may give it another shot but this time hand piecing it instead of machine...this would be a great bring along quilt when visiting others or waiting for appointments....even lunch break at work. Thanks for the post!