Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quick Machine Binding with Flange (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-machine-binding-flange-t77821.html)

ania755 01-30-2015 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear (Post 1923299)
that is aweome, thanks for sharing with us

I absolutlly agree....its awesome...thanks for sharing

Quiltaria 01-30-2015 08:02 AM

Thanks for the tutorial! It looks great!

BarbaraColbourne 02-03-2015 04:05 AM

Clear instructions, Thanks. I am just this past week finding out about this method of binding and i am planning to use it on my granddaughter's lap quilt that i'm now making.

Sandra-P 03-22-2015 08:11 AM

Thank you, I will try this on my next binding.

MargeD 03-22-2015 09:35 AM

Thanks, that's a great solution, and easier than hand stitching the binding to the front/back.

lenyadora 03-22-2015 09:45 AM

Gracias! Yo sabía que tenía que haber una manera más fácil de hacer esto que he estado haciendo!

Friday1961 03-23-2015 07:16 AM

Call me dumb, but I don't understand the benefit of the flange. Either way, stitching is going to show on the back, which some of you seem to object to. Is it because the stitching (thread color to match the flange) on the front will match the color of the flange fabric on the back?

It doesn't bother me at all that stitching shows on the back. Stitching is all over the quilt, anyway! I usually sew my binding to the back and then machine stitch it down on the front, using a thread color that matches the binding. One line of stitching appears on the back, but so what? If I've used a binding that goes well with the quilt, why would I care? If I don't want it to show, I machine stitch the binding to the back, turn it and handsew it on the front. I confess that I do often use the backing as binding, if I like it. I just turn it down and sew, either by hand or machine.

I also admit that I've never made a quilt that I thought would pass the inspection of judges at a quilt competition. Not to say I am sloppy -- I try to make my quilts as perfect as I can -- but I assume there are very precise rules in judging quilts and I may not have met all of them (in that I don't know what they are!). That I'll probably never enter a quilt in a competition doesn't bother me at all, even though I admire those who do -- and win!

Pin Cushion 04-06-2015 06:34 PM

I like the extra color in your binding. It makes the binding pop. My mom said that she likes to make the backing larger than the front and fold it over and sew it on with a single stitch using the machine. The stitch is visible front and back but if the thread matches the backing, it's not very noticeable. I don't like limiting my backing options to suitable binding colors, so I like your method.

slbram17 04-09-2015 05:49 PM

I will be making a couple more twin size quilts soon, and I think I will use your method of binding.

ilovetosew 05-04-2015 06:04 PM

I like that - I'll try it sometime!