Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Really Easy Half Square Triangle Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/really-easy-half-square-triangle-blocks-t37915.html)

dreamgirl 01-09-2011 07:06 AM

Thanks, Rhonda! You're always a life saver.

quiltjoey 01-18-2011 07:37 PM

Hi Rhonda! I have been trying to learn to quilt on my own by trial and error and reading books and watching youtube tuts over this past year. I don't know anyone who quilts. My HST's are never right and I have cut little squares and then cut on the diagonal and then sewn them together! It has been so hard and tedious but I have kept trying, thinking there must be and easier way. I have had such a hard time measuring and cutting. I found your tut tonight and can't wait to try your method tomorrow or as soon as I can. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to help others to learn to do this!! Thank you so much.

Rhonda 01-18-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey
Hi Rhonda! I have been trying to learn to quilt on my own by trial and error and reading books and watching youtube tuts over this past year. I don't know anyone who quilts. My HST's are never right and I have cut little squares and then cut on the diagonal and then sewn them together! It has been so hard and tedious but I have kept trying, thinking there must be and easier way. I have had such a hard time measuring and cutting. I found your tut tonight and can't wait to try your method tomorrow or as soon as I can. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to help others to learn to do this!! Thank you so much.

If you need any help just let me know!! I will be happy to help you. I want everyone who has trouble making HSTS to find that they really aren't that hard! The key is to be accurate with each step you make. Make sure your seam is straight, Make sure you hold the template as you cut and don't let it move. Make sure the corners of your template are on the seam and not off to one side of the seam. They aren't hard things just things to be aware of so your HSTs come out good and you don't have to do any trimming to square them up.

I have another thread about trouble shooting when making HSTs and sewing them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23252-1.htm

Cuddly Quilter 01-18-2011 10:02 PM

Rhonda thanks very much. I cannot believe how quick the top method is a NO WASTE - wow.
Bookmarked for future :thumbup:

stitchengramie 02-20-2011 11:18 AM

I really like this tutorial. I have a rotary cutter but I not sure how to use it to cut fabric. I tried a few times, but I keep cutting the fabric to small.

Rhonda 02-20-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
I really like this tutorial. I have a rotary cutter but I not sure how to use it to cut fabric. I tried a few times, but I keep cutting the fabric to small.

With a template you need to keep the cutter against the plastic but don't tilt it. If you tilt it your square won't be the right size. You will get the hang of it.

It is also easier to cut with a rotary cutter as far using a template is concerned if you have a mini mat you can turn as you cut out the square or on a rotating mat.

I suggest you practice on copy paper. I use copy paper in place of fabric when I want to practice a technique. It's cheap and it can be sewn and ironed just like fabric.

-

Rhonda 02-20-2011 05:46 PM

The great thing about this method is you don't have to buy anything to make accurate HSTs. I hate to spend money when I don't have to.

Cut strips and sew them together and cut out your HSTs with a template. How easy is that?

Corky 02-20-2011 06:16 PM

I like the 'no waste' in this technique! :)

ncredbird 02-22-2011 02:41 PM

Couldn't this be accomplished with using a Quilt Cut cutting system instead of a template? I would give it a try but mine hasn't arrived yet. Ann in TN

luv2baunt 02-26-2011 10:12 PM

Fantastic, Can't wait to do these myself. Great Job! :O)