Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Rhonda's Second Hotpad Class - Part 1 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/rhondas-second-hotpad-class-part-1-a-t234479.html)

Rhonda 11-10-2013 11:47 PM

Rhonda's Second Hotpad Class - Part 1

4 Attachment(s)
Since I've had several interested in my doing another Boston Block Hotpad Class I am going to begin by listing the things you will need.

The most important thing you need will be a template.
I have the templates available and will send them for free.
You will need to send me a postal address so I can mail them out to you. They are hard acrylic so they are not sent through email.

You will have a chance to work with a 1 1/2" template or a 2 1/2" template and you can have both if you like. Please make sure you specify which one or ones you want.

You will need a small cutting mat preferably about 6" sq or so. any old cutting mats can be cut up and used for this if you have a used mat.

You will need the usual supplies:

rotary cutter
scissors
thread
pins
a smaller ruler would be good if you have one. I use a 2 1/2" x 9" but you can use whatever you have.
If you use a template you have make sure you put nonslide dots under it. I use a thin strip of sandpaper cut to fit on mine.

In the next lesson I will discuss what fabrics and colors go together and how to get the best out of the design.

A sign up is fun but it isn't really necessary here. This series of classes will remain on the Board for anyone to use any time. So if you can't follow along now while I am presenting this info you can go back and use it anytime you want.

Over the next 3 weeks or so I am going to show you how to

1. choose fabrics and colors wisely
2. how to make a Boston Block
3. how to use the boston block to make a quilt block
4. how to use the quilt block to make hotpads my way.

Of course there are many ways to do anything and I understand my methods aren't for everyone. But if I can help anyone to find an easier way to do something then I am happy to oblige!

This is a Boston Block pieced square unit:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446296[/ATTACH]

Here are two quilt blocks I will be using to build our hotpads.

Please remember my methods are easy to do and are a bit of an illusion.
Designs look harder to make than they really are. It is all in the tricks of the trade! :)

But I assure you beginners can make both of these quilt blocks!! If you can use a rotary cutter and mat you will be able to do this.

So I would like to show you how to make a quilt block with 6 rows of 6 Boston Blocks in it -
this is what it will look like:

If you joined in my second Sampler Quilt Along you would have seen this there.
This is - Ashley - She has 6 rows of 6 pieced blocks(units).
Some are HSTs(half square triangles) and some are Boston Blocks
So I will be showing you how to make these 2 Blocks my way.
This quilt block uses the 1 1/2" template

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446293[/ATTACH]

And then we will also make this quilt block-
It has 4 rows of 4 pieced blocks(units).
This quilt block uses the 2 1/2" template

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446294[/ATTACH]

I'll post the next installment on this lesson this next friday. so make sure you bookmark it and I hope you will enjoy following along!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446295[/ATTACH]

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like! There are never any dumb stupid questions only questions you don't know the answers to yet. If you don't ask you can't learn.
I'm always happy to help if I can.

frustratedquilter40 11-11-2013 12:27 AM

I so want to join in missed out last time. Sent you a PM as I do not have the templates. Thank you Rhonda for doing this I have seen some of your patterns and templates and have decided to give them a try as they are beautiful!! Have bookmarked this thread :)

mawluv 11-11-2013 02:56 AM

I'm going to join you this time, and want to say A BIG THANK YOU for doing this class!!! You are greatly appreciated for sharing your talents and knowledge with all of us and for your generosity. God Bless you, Mawluv

Shadowirish 11-11-2013 09:19 AM

Rhonda, sent a PM with my template request. Looks like fun!

Rhonda 11-11-2013 11:49 AM

PLEASE EVERYONE - PM YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS TO ME

You don't want theives or worse to have your address. Thanks!!

I will have Patrice remove them for you. thanks

wordpaintervs 11-11-2013 12:02 PM

Ronda...count me in please. I sent a PM your way a few minutes ago. HUGS

MarleneC 11-11-2013 12:06 PM

I would like to warn everyone about posting your addresses or phone numbers to this board as this info is now public as it is on the internet. When reaching someone privately click on their avatar and the message ---message privately should be stated right below the avatar and when clicked that will bring up an email form.

deplaylady 11-11-2013 01:57 PM

I love Boston Blocks!

Rhonda 11-11-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady (Post 6399456)
I love Boston Blocks!

I'm really glad you like them! My favorite is the wings block but that's for another class some day LOL

JuanitaBean 11-11-2013 04:31 PM

Rhonda I in will PM you . I really like doing your block, they turn out so nice.