Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Sandy's version of DPN. (Disappearing 9 patch) pics in post #17 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/sandys-version-dpn-disappearing-9-patch-pics-post-17-a-t232208.html)

Sandygirl 10-11-2013 04:08 AM

Sandy's version of DPN. (Disappearing 9 patch) pics in post #17

1 Attachment(s)
My version of the layout and how I got there is on my tutorial below.

My quilt top is is the orange and brown one one the bottom. Sadly, I loaned it out last year andI don't remembered who I loaned it to and I have not seen it since. :(

Sandy

Disappearing 9 Patch quilt instructions for 68 X 92

To find out how to make the blocks just Google “disappearing 9 patch” for other tutorials for inspiration!

Shopping list:

Blender #1: 1 ¼ yard

Blender #2: 1 ¼ yard

Blender (for the center of each block # 1 and block #2): ¾ yard

Medium scale floral or print # 1 (for the corners) 1 ¼ yard

Medium scale floral or print # 2 (for the corners) 1 ¼ yard

Large scale focus print ( for the border fabric) 1 3/8 yard

Make 18 9-patch blocks. Each individual cut block is 4.5” square. You could use charm packs too. The blocks just have to large enough to make a 12” block or similar size…not too small because you will cut the block into “quarters” ! For this particular quilt size, you will cut each square 4 ½” .

To get the pattern on my quilt, I made 2 sets of blocks in complementary colors.

Block 1: Make 18 blocks

• Blender # 1 (position blocks between the corners)
• Cream tone on tone (centered)
• Medium floral or print # 1 (position blocks on the corners)

Block 2: Make 18 Blocks
Blender #2: (position blocks between the corners)
Cream tone on tone (centered)
Medium floral or print # 2 (position blocks on the corners)

BLOCK LAYOUT: 5 blocks across by 7 blocks down

(After assembling the quilt, you will end up with 1 extra block but hey, it’s good practice!)
Once you make the blocks for the quilt, you will literally cut the blocks into 4ths. (photo from the tutorial)

To get the pattern, I re-assembled the blocks by using 2 quartered blocks from each block.
Example from the tutorial:

Notice that where the focal prints are positioned. Just repeat this same layout for all of the blocks to get the pattern in my quilt This quilt went together fairly quickly.

NOTE: A good friend taught her 18 year old grand daughter how to piece her first quilt top using my "pattern". She was thrilled with her first project!
sandy

Tartan 10-11-2013 04:29 AM

Great D9P! You don't know who has it? Yikes!

Quilt-T 10-11-2013 10:59 AM

I love the border fabric! Used in a quilt from last year and I have a couple of yards left. Now I know what to do with them!

QuiltnNan 10-11-2013 03:33 PM

thanks for the tut... i'll be using it soon!

bibi 10-12-2013 05:09 AM

Nice quilt and thanks for the tut.

grammy of 6 10-12-2013 09:21 AM

Great quilt, thanks for the tut. Are there a few pictures missing? I only have the picture for the completed quilt.

goldbeacher 10-12-2013 01:38 PM

Thanks for the tut, I love the look.

Tiggersmom 10-12-2013 03:09 PM

Looks Good!
:thumbup:
I loan or give things away and forget I've done so..............I sure get tired searching all over the house for something I don't even have. :(

Wanabee Quiltin 10-12-2013 03:51 PM

Beautiful quilt. The person you lent it to sure knows she didn't make it, shame on her !

trivia42 10-12-2013 04:43 PM

Thanks for this! I like the D9P I'm working on but don't love the pinwheel it creates with my fabric. This could be a viable alternative.