Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Simple and Cheap Spool Adapter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/simple-cheap-spool-adapter-t95240.html)

JUNEC 01-31-2011 06:45 PM

What a clever idea - thank you for sharing

cjr 01-31-2011 07:02 PM

Necessity is the mother of invention. Good suggestions

annette1952 01-31-2011 07:19 PM

Great idea! Thank you!

Rose_P 01-31-2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rumbols
Love your suggestion. I have been using the inside of an empty Gutterman spools (small or medium size). I twist the bottom inner piece (down where you wind the thread when done with spool) and give it good twist and pull. This pulls the inside out and makes a perfect adapter for the larger spools. When I need to use a machine where the spool lays down, I use two of these end to end in the spool and they help it to ride smoothly. I also use the rest of the spool to wind ribbons on for storage. Hope this is clear for everyone.

These are a couple of great ideas. I'll have to save those spools. I'd especially like it for ribbon because it would be more compact and would let them be stored in a thread box.

seasaw2mch 01-31-2011 09:11 PM

I use a couple of washers that fit just inside the thread spool and it keeps the spools in place just fine. I agree that they charge way to much for simple things no matter what it's for. Most of the time, if you need something, you can just go hang out in the hardware store for a while and find everything you need to make your own stuff and far less then what you pay if it's sold for what you want it for.

And that's exactly why we are in a recession because there are so many greedy people out there. I don't mind paying a buck of something worth a buck but it's a cold day in Hell before I pay 20 bucks for something I can make under 1 buck.

sewbaby 01-31-2011 09:13 PM

I have several different types of thread as im sure everyone does many of these threads have varing sizes of cardboard tubes I just fit one inside another until i have the size i need , you may have to use a piece of cardboard(aka)cereal box cut to size to make each fit inside the next size. works great for me

Glenda m 02-01-2011 12:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have doll stands, so I thought why not. Larger of the stands and it's adjustable.

large doll stand
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120227[/ATTACH]

another view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120228[/ATTACH]

leaha 02-01-2011 12:34 PM

oh my gosh that works so great, super thanks!!!

lawsonmugs 02-01-2011 02:04 PM

Glenda M could you please show another picture of the doll stand without the spool so I know exactly what to look for thanks alot. Mary

Glenda m 02-01-2011 02:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of all my doll stands. Finally got them all in one place. LOL They are just regular stands that you can find in any craft store or ... got most of mine at garage sales. When I set it up, I wrap the thread around the top "doll holding part" once. That well the thread doesn't feed to fast. Works great for me. You might have to adjust it for your machine. Hope this helps. Oh, included one of the dolls I make clothes for. (When I have time)