Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html)

MaryLane 03-07-2012 08:12 PM

When I did this and didn't like how unbalanced it was, I added some large applique to balance it.

Katmom 03-07-2012 11:16 PM

"10 minute block"

Originally Posted by sew wishful (Post 1805503)
LOL! No, hon...my plan is to not stress over the like ones touching! Honestly, I don't even have a jelly roll yet!!! Gonna get one soon...! (I know I don't NEED a jelly roll to do this.) I don't make quilts to "show" or "hang"...they are to be used by my grandkids! I don't think any of them will mind if the same patterns touch. And if I don't have to look at it, except while sewing it, I will be okay with it. I think. I have to make a quilt for a granddaughter next and will be doing the 10 minute block, but then I have two boys to make for...if I can find masculine fabrics I think this will be great...easy and fun!

i am new to this board. What is the "10 minute block"? Thanks in advance!!

doris.meek13088 03-08-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace (Post 1007377)
Ok, tried this.
I still have to add on the borders, but it was super fast! :wink:

I may try another with shorter strips next time to get a more "scrappier" look.
Do you think it would work?

It is so simple I cut a couple of 'kits" to take with us this summer when we camp in our trailer. I have cut 3" strips using some shorter cuts and WOF (and exceeding the total length just a little) to make it a little bigger. I will post a picture when I get it together if I cam remember to show the results.

NCannie 03-09-2012 09:12 PM

jelly roll quilt

Don't know if this has been posted but this really isn't a new concept and if you go to youtube and google jelly roll race you can find the visual instructions there. I did one sbout a month ago at my quilt store and you have to be careful some come out looking great and some don't. We had a couple of ones that looked great,in fact mine won for best looking. I would use a roll that limits the color combinations and we all noticed that the ones made with batiks looked better than traditional fbric.

Sienna's GiGi 03-10-2012 01:46 AM

Connecting threads have affordable 2.5 inch strips you can put fabric from your stash with and make nice JR quilts too.

leevenora 03-10-2012 11:09 PM

Is it still cool, to say cool? LOL Love this idea!

PghPat 03-11-2012 06:42 AM

My first Jelly Roll type scrappy quilt top

1 Attachment(s)
I really enjoyed making this quilt. I'm a relatively new quilter and this is only my second quilt but there is no doubt I'll be making this fun quilt again....so fast and so much fun. I didn't have a Jelly Roll so I just cut from scraps that I had. I will buy fabric and cut my own strips again....it didn't take long at all to cut them and costs so much less. I joined my strips with a diagonal seam...which I like but think I may do a straight seam on the next one.....after I figured out that with every 2.5 strip you join on the diagonal you loose 1 3/4 inch of of the strip....that certainly adds up when you are joining 40 strips.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]318880[/ATTACH]

PghPat 03-11-2012 06:44 AM

Ooops! sorry pic is sideways.

Karissa 08-01-2012 07:13 AM

I'm looking for a pattern for a throw pillow that is made from strips I thought it was posted on quilting board. I copied it but now can't find it ( after spending about 3 days looking). Can any one help me? Karissa

Bneighbor 08-01-2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Katmom (Post 5040975)
i am new to this board. What is the "10 minute block"? Thanks in advance!!

I found a tutorial on you tube. Put in 10 minute block in the search line. About 8 or more come up. The one I like is made with 5 squares of fabric sewn together, per the instructions, and you get a block that looks like it has a set in square. Very quick. Did a wall hanging in batik, turned out so pretty.
Someday when I figure out my camera and how to post pictures, I will share.