Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Taking piecing to another dimension (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/taking-piecing-another-dimension-t201431.html)

miriam 09-24-2012 01:30 PM

Taking piecing to another dimension

2 Attachment(s)
OK this will have a lot of pictures and probably take me all night to do this tutorial. Please do not comment until you see the end result hanging on a door. If you want to know what it turns out to be look at my posting toward the end of here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t134918.html I've had more than a few people ask for a tutorial. I haven't written it yet - I just have pictures. If you have questions feel free AFTER I get the whole thing done so I don't mess things up. Thanks.

OK LET'S ROLL!!!
First you will need necessary equipment. I used a little old Spartan sewing machine in a rather bad case thing - it bounced along but I got it done using this little machine. This machine is secretly a chameleon - I'm not sure if it is turning black or green... (well, ok... the light and motor were borrowed from a Singer 185.)
I am having trouble getting the pictures to go on here - this may not turn out at all. I'll try one more frame.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365271[/ATTACH]

miriam 09-24-2012 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You will want to cut out 17 quilt squares. Mine are 6 inches any size will do.
Then piece a 9 patch and then 4 pairs: [ATTACH=CONFIG]365272[/ATTACH]

miriam 09-24-2012 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next you will need to attach the pairs of blocks to the 9 patch. When you do you will only sew between the seam allowance - you do not sew them all the way to the end of the patch. See where I marked it with a pen?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365273[/ATTACH]

miriam 09-24-2012 01:35 PM

Attach all 4 sides - press well of course
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365274[/ATTACH]

Those inside corners should not have stitching going all the way to the edge of the fabric - I back stitched carefully.

miriam 09-24-2012 01:39 PM

This is best if you make a lining - I used an old skirt. The blocks were odd pieces I had around - good way to use up scraps. You can do about any design you wish with the colors. Where you join you do not want the same color - you'll see later. I put my work face down on the old skirt material - then I made a pocket out of some scrap and sewed it to the lining - you are on your own for that one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365275[/ATTACH]

miriam 09-24-2012 01:42 PM

Now is the tricky part. I sewed around the two unsewn sides of the blue blocks. Start at the seam, reinforce, then go to the point - reinforce - you'll want to trim later around the corner, reinforce sew to the seam, reinforce. Then start over on the next blue block. Do the other end.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365276[/ATTACH]

Pic shows it folded in half - you are looking at the skirt fabric on the bottom and the top is the pieced part - I already trimmed it and cut the points - out side points are trimmed and the inside corners are slit - you can see what I mean better on the lining piece.

miriam 09-24-2012 01:46 PM

Before I turned it to press, I trimmed the skirt material all the way around. I didn't do that on the first one I made - too late now...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365277[/ATTACH]
You can see better how I slit the lining - do both ends

miriam 09-24-2012 01:48 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365278[/ATTACH]
It is good to turn it and press - I think half of sewing something is pressing it. Press both ends.
Hang on - we are up the hard part - save your questions for the end... LOL Might be a good time to take a wee break - CHOCOLATE!!!

miriam 09-24-2012 01:52 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365280[/ATTACH]
Fold it like so - match the right sides - pin and sew between the seams - pull the lining out of the way - we will deal with that later.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365282[/ATTACH]

miriam 09-24-2012 01:54 PM

warning:before you sew that you better make sure you have the lining out of your way - i just hate ripping things out - check again before you sew