Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Thread Basting My Quilt Sandwich for FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/thread-basting-my-quilt-sandwich-fmq-t91013.html)

azwendyg 02-25-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by EdieClay
This is a great tute. Very helpful. Now, since I am new at quilting my own quilt, once you get the quilt basted, you take it off the boards, right? and how do you handle it to quilt it on your machine? Also, you quilt from the middle out to the edges, don't you? Thanks!

That's right, when you baste your quilt is unwrapped from the boards as you go. Once it's totally basted, it's not on the boards anymore. Leah Day has a good video on how to handle a big quilt while you free-motion quilt it on your machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2Y14B-vwk
I do usually start quilting from near the middle. If I'm doing some stitch-in-the-ditch (SITD) combined with free-motion, I'll do all of the SITD first and then go back and do the free-motion designs. I don't think there's really a right or wrong way to do it, that's just how I prefer to handle it.

Sadheart 03-08-2011 08:57 PM

Thank you! Thank you! I knew there had to be a way to put it all together with out a quilt frame. Love your Idea!!!
Thank you for sharing.

Glenda TX 07-27-2011 10:39 PM

Thanks so much for all the detailed steps on basting a quilt sandwich. Soooo glad I found your posting. Tonight I finished piecing a Batik top (65" x 84") which is the largest I've ever done and had no idea of what to do next.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Once I learn your technique I wont be limited to making baby quilts and placemates.

wtxpeach 07-29-2011 03:56 PM

Wendy, Love your Scarlet Fiesta!!!

BrendaY 08-04-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg

Originally Posted by auntlucy
Any particular reason that you use mdf boards rather than wood boards? Is each board 8 plus feet long? Thanks for the great pictures and instructions.

I bought the mdf boards because they were much less expensive and much straighter than solid wood that I could find, and won't warp over time. In order for me to keep everything straight when rolling the top and backing on the boards, I figured I'd need perfectly straight boards to start with. It seems like 4" - 6" strips of 5/8 or 3/4 plywood would also work well if you happen to have that on hand. The flannel covering is stapled on and works a lot like a design board in that the fabric kind of naturally adheres to it when you smooth it onto the flannel; no need for any pins to hold your quilt fabric on the boards.

The boards I used here are 8 feet long, but I have a shorter, 5 foot, set that fits on my cutting table for smaller quilts. It works best to use boards that are just a little longer than your quilt is wide.

Hope this answers your questions...

I love your flannel covered boards... clever idea and really handy, I'll bet!

many craft person 08-13-2011 09:31 AM

This is a lot like Sharon Schaumber's instructions - it works, cause I tried it on a huge quilt for my daughter

azwendyg 08-13-2011 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by many craft person
This is a lot like Sharon Schaumber's instructions - it works, cause I tried it on a huge quilt for my daughter

Yep, sure is. That's where I learned it! :thumbup:

LyndaOH 09-10-2011 03:40 PM

This was so helpful - thanks so much for taking the time to show us!

MacThayer 09-11-2011 12:19 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to show a "Newbie" how to properly baste a quilt. No wonder I've been having problems! With your directions and photos, I see success in my future! Thanks ever so much!

Warmest Regards,

yonnikka 09-27-2011 06:07 PM

My ignorance: I had to find a definition for MDF: It means Medium Density Fiberboard
from Home Depot: "Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)
MDF is made by breaking softwoods down into individual fibers, which are then glued and pressed together. MDF is denser than particle board and has a smooth finish that takes paint very well, making it a great choice for interior projects. MDF can also be used for built-ins, cabinets, raised panels, or simple furniture."