Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick and Easy Coaster

Blog Entries

Quick and Easy Coaster

Quick and Easy Coaster

Here is a really quick, fast and easy way to make a coaster. Take 5 different pieces of fabric 5 inches square ( or use 5 charm pieces). Lay the piece that you want to be the back right side up. Fold the 4 remaining pieces in half vertically. Place them on the bottom square with the raw edges matching the outside edge of the back piece. Go around the square like you fold a box top. When you come to the last piece, tuck part of it under piece number 1.
    Note: An alternative way is to fold the 4 remaining pieces diagonally and then place them around the square the same way with raw edges matching raw edges of bottom square.
    Pin in place and then sew a 1/4 inch seam all around the outside. Check the back to make sure that you caught each piece in the seam. Turn right side out, press and Voila...a coaster. I like to sew around the outside edge after I turn it right side out but not required. I think this would be a great way to use up scraps of fabric with different themes like Christmas, fall, spring, patriotic etc.
    There are basically 4 layers of fabric so you shouldn't need batting.
    Show me pics when you get yours done.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    More of directions
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Blog Entries
    Last of the picture directions
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Cute idea! I will have to try this!
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

I have made many of these but not in the triangle method. Here is a picture of what I did.
    Name:  Pot Holders 2011.jpg
Views: 4253
Size:  72.4 KB
    Since these are hot pads, I used Insulbrite inside and used 9" squares. I also made key rings and CHRISTmas ornaments. For the ornaments and key rings I used 4" squares to begin with. I LOVE your triangle method. Thanks for the great tutorial
    Last edited by twinkie; 11-08-2013 at 04:56 AM.

These are so fun to make, but I have not tried the triangle method either! I also really like the rounded corners. I guess I need to make some more!
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

That is cute....

Love making coasters but yours are more darling looking! Will have to try this and thanks for the tutorials!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Thanks, I've too have made these with the squares but will try the triangles too.
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

Blog Entries
    I have made these, but I make a small starburst design in the center so they stay together and protect the insulbrite, during the wash. I make the "star" with embroidery thread.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results are your fault. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast