Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt As You Go that Deb uses

this is actually the Betty Cotton Theory. YOu can get one of her books to get more photos and details if you need some.

RMM
    Deb....I've been wanting to make a QAYG and now I "think" I can do it. Your instructions w/pics are great...thanks
    RMM

A couple of my friends do their quilts this way. I just don't care for quilts looking that flat. I prefer a real quilt put together in pieces quilted and bound--just my preference. I would like to see more pics of what has been done with this method--same for Cotton Theory--but just not my cup of tea.

That is brilliant. Not having to work on a large area is very encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

What a great tute. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    A couple of my friends do their quilts this way. I just don't care for quilts looking that flat. I prefer a real quilt put together in pieces quilted and bound--just my preference. I would like to see more pics of what has been done with this method--same for Cotton Theory--but just not my cup of tea.
    here's a link for Attic Windows done with the Cotton Theory
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28801-1.htm
    and the attachment is one I used the Fun and Done QAYG method (I forgot to take the pillows off before I took the picture). I know others have better quilting skills as well as better photography skills but these are mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have been reading the other posts on cotton theory, and that is not what I am doing. I am not making my blocks in little strip pieces and quilting each section as I go. I make one 12-1/2 block, as I usually do, then quilt that entire block. I can see why those blocks would be stiff. Mine are no stiffer than if I were to put all the block tops together and do the stippling all over. There isn't any special ruler - as I have been reading about - that is used. I don't insert 1 or 2" sashings between each block, the backing becomes the sashing.....I can see why seams would be a little wonky and messy looking.....Am I missing something????

Deb, I did echo quilting around each block of a SBS and joined them together as you did. It took a whole lot of work out of the the entire quilting process. Plus the binding was already in place on the outer blocks and I didn't have to cut and sew it on separately. Could you take a picture of the back of one of your quilts to show how pretty it all turns out? The front of my quilt looked the same as if it had been done in a traditional way with sashings. It is a nice option and worth giving a try! Especially for those of us w/o a long arm machine!

Another quick question. Can you add outside borders to these quilts or would you do that using this method, but longer pieces? Thanks

Blog Entries
    I appreciate the way you explained it and the photos help me.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast