Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Rhondas Bear's Paw Class - Quilt Block Lesson >

Rhondas Bear's Paw Class - Quilt Block Lesson

Rhondas Bear's Paw Class - Quilt Block Lesson

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
Rhonda, the blocks that are all turned around are different, but makes me look to see how you twisted them & it's clever how you can think outside the box. I'll have to try this when I can sew/quilt again. I'm really missing it.
Thanks Sheila. It will all still be there when you are ready! That is the cool thing about this board. The tutorials are still there so you can do them whenever!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Okay ya'll, I think I did this one right. Whew....that was work. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-132999.jpe  
Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lady with Thread
Okay ya'll, I think I did this one right. Whew....that was work. :)
Very nice block, and wasn't it fun!!! I had to take my sashing out, and cut it down a little so I don't cut off points of the claws when I make a checkbook cover.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Thank you Katie. Yes it is very fun. I never dreamed I'd be able to make something so small and have it match up right. Yes, I had to take that middle sashing out once cause I forgot to cut it down to 3/4" wide....grrrr I'm happy with it. Now tomorrow night I will make it into something, don't know what just yet. My daughter wants coasters so I think I'll make here some for christmas. I really like this Bears Paw. I always wanted to make one but was afraid of the points. Rhonda is such a good teacher! She gets an A+ !!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Tammy you did a wonderful job of it! It all lines up so well! That lining it up is the trick to keeping your points in my opinion. Also you have a good amt between your points and your edge. That looks terrific. One of the things I don't like about some quilt blocks I have seen is they don't give enough attention to making sure they keep that seam allowance. And then they lose the points. I am quilty of losing them if I get in a hurry and don't take the time to measure well.

You are doing great! Now when we do the checkbook cover we are going to go just a bit smaller. Not alot but a bit. I try for 4 1/2 by 7 1/2 or 6". So I like to add a small border at the top and bottom of the quilt block. If we cut the sashing a bit smaller then it gives the block just a bit more room to add the borders on and still be at 4 1/2"

If anyone is going to work on this soon you might like to know I use a 1/2" border on the bottom( measure from the seam where the border is sewn on) and a 3/4" border on the top. I sometimes end up with a checkbook cover that is a bit more generous than I like but it won't hurt if your checkbook cover is alittle wider or deeper than you intended. It will still work just fine.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Thank you Rhonda. Oh my smaller???? lol...here I am trying to let my nails grow out and they will be nubs again workin' on a check book. lol I just love making this Bears Paw though. I think they are so cute. How in the world do you make these miniature blocks quickly though? Took me three nights getting this done. But I have a hard time pulling myself away from the board cause there's so much to read and see and learn. I wish my computer was in my sewing room. I have a laptop in there but I don't have internet ran in there....yet....lol Maybe this spring I can do that if it's not too expensive. Another thing I found that helped me was I bought some Applique pins cause I thought they were cute cause they were so small. And I pulled those out tonight and they worked good for me. I tried the needle and thread but it was taking me forever I thought. But I do know you have to tack it some way to keep it from shifting. Anyway I'm having so much fun. And I thank you for all your help and teaching people it is possible to make these little blocks.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Rhonda, here's my attempt. Oh, boy, sewing these little pieces together does take patience! I think a couple of my seams are a bit crooked but I THINK I can get it to work. We'll see how that works out once you post instructions for the wallet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-133436.jpe  
Old 11-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Very nice Evie! I like your fabric choices. They are tiny little things to work with but it's so worth it when your done.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Evie
Rhonda, here's my attempt. Oh, boy, sewing these little pieces together does take patience! I think a couple of my seams are a bit crooked but I THINK I can get it to work. We'll see how that works out once you post instructions for the wallet.
Looks good Evie. I like your color choices! The only thing I see is the one paw on the left bottom doesn't line up with the one on the top. It isn't much but it is up to you if you want to "fix" it or not. As long as you can get a 4" square after you trim the quilt block you would be ok to leave it if you'd rather. It is great for the first try!! I used to really struggle with lining up those seams! This method helps but I still have trouble getting them even sometimes. It is just one of those hazards that happens with this particular quilt block. If you want to straighten it I can suggest what I think would make it fall in line a little more. But You Did A Great Job on it! I love it!!
Old 11-27-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by klgreene
Originally Posted by Evie
Tammy, love your block! Who says you need sashing?
ditto, isn't it amazing what different fabric, and a small border can make the same block look so different. I want to see everyone else's blocks too.
You can turn the claws into the center for a differant look too.
Rhona,

It looks like a bow-legged bear doing a yoga position but I cannot remember the name of it this early in the a.m.