My version of the layout and how I got there is on my tutorial below.
My quilt top is is the orange and brown one one the bottom. Sadly, I loaned it out last year andI don't remembered who I loaned it to and I have not seen it since.
Disappearing 9 Patch quilt instructions for 68 X 92
To find out how to make the blocks just Google “disappearing 9 patch” for other tutorials for inspiration!
Blender #1: 1 ¼ yard
Blender #2: 1 ¼ yard
Blender (for the center of each block # 1 and block #2): ¾ yard
Medium scale floral or print # 1 (for the corners) 1 ¼ yard
Medium scale floral or print # 2 (for the corners) 1 ¼ yard
Large scale focus print ( for the border fabric) 1 3/8 yard
Make 18 9-patch blocks. Each individual cut block is 4.5” square. You could use charm packs too. The blocks just have to large enough to make a 12” block or similar size…not too small because you will cut the block into “quarters” ! For this particular quilt size, you will cut each square 4 ½” .
To get the pattern on my quilt, I made 2 sets of blocks in complementary colors.
Block 1: Make 18 blocks
• Blender # 1 (position blocks between the corners)
• Cream tone on tone (centered)
• Medium floral or print # 1 (position blocks on the corners)
Block 2: Make 18 Blocks
Blender #2: (position blocks between the corners)
Cream tone on tone (centered)
Medium floral or print # 2 (position blocks on the corners)
BLOCK LAYOUT: 5 blocks across by 7 blocks down
(After assembling the quilt, you will end up with 1 extra block but hey, it’s good practice!)
Once you make the blocks for the quilt, you will literally cut the blocks into 4ths. (photo from the tutorial)
To get the pattern, I re-assembled the blocks by using 2 quartered blocks from each block.
Example from the tutorial:
Notice that where the focal prints are positioned. Just repeat this same layout for all of the blocks to get the pattern in my quilt This quilt went together fairly quickly.
NOTE: A good friend taught her 18 year old grand daughter how to piece her first quilt top using my "pattern". She was thrilled with her first project!