Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Several of you have asked me to explain how I do Painless Binding... >

Several of you have asked me to explain how I do Painless Binding...

Several of you have asked me to explain how I do Painless Binding...

Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 AM

I think I am wierd. I have never found binding to be difficult. I love binding my quilts. Now FMQ is totally a different story.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 PM

I've never had a probem binding either. I find it painless and easy. I cut my binding 3" wide on the cross grain. I miter my stips and corners. When I get to the end I miter that seam as well. I stitch down either my machine or hand depending on how big the quilt is and my mood at the moment.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Madamekelly: You said you don't machine sew your binding. Here's a trick that will make it very easy for you. After sewing on the binding, press with a hot iron (no steam!) AWAY from the body of the quilt. In the corners, push the "nose" of the iron outward. Then, back at the machine, use the binding clips that look like springy clips for hair. I usually do half of one side and turn the corner adding a few more clips, including one ON the corner, making a nice 45 degree miter. I stitch in the ditch on the front, removing the clips as I go. Then I start putting clips on the next segment. Try this and save an hour or two of hand-sewing! (Also, I wear quilting gloves when doing the bind...saves wear and tear on my arms and hands.)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Hi Madame, I even go so far as to sew the binding by machine. I apply to the back and bring around to the front and stitch by machine. The hand sewing is much nicer but if I had to stitch the binding by hand I would not finish the quilt. So-o I give up a little but FINISHED is important too. I love the work but am not good at hand stitching and don't enjoy it either. Enjoy your day
Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 PM

I use this method all the time and it works great. Good tutorial.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by quilterjoan
Hi Madame, I even go so far as to sew the binding by machine. I apply to the back and bring around to the front and stitch by machine. The hand sewing is much nicer but if I had to stitch the binding by hand I would not finish the quilt. So-o I give up a little but FINISHED is important too. I love the work but am not good at hand stitching and don't enjoy it either. Enjoy your day
I used to like hand stitching my bindings and then I found if I take a bit extra time in my binding to get it the right size I can use my machine "Blanket" stitch and it looks great both sides. I don't do SID as I keep on wandering :roll:
Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 PM

great instructions. thanks for the tute
Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

thanks!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
You asked me to share how I do binding. Here it is, if you have more questions just ask. I cut bias strips 2.5 inches wide, and long enough to go around the quilt. I usually just cut a yard of fabric at a time. If I have extra, I save it for another project. I iron it in half lengthwise, using spray sizing. I start in the middle of a side, leaving a 1 foot 'tail' hanging loose, and sew it, with a 1/4 inch seam, all the way around the quilt, stopping about 8-10 inches from where I started. I lay the 'tail' I left before, across where it will be sewed, and cut it off near the middle of the open space. I take the other 'tail' and lay it across the other, over lapping them. Very carefully, measure a 2.5 inch overlap, and cut only the second 'tail, at that measurement. Draw a diagonal line (45 degree) from one corner of one 'tail'. (I fold it to get it in the right spot.) Match the now square ends, right sides together, and pin. Lay it so you can see the drawn line, check for fit in the unsewn 'gap'. If it fits well, sew and trim, if not, fiddle with it until it does. Lay it down smooth and attach, using a 1/4 inch seam. Don't forget to miter the corners as you go around them *( there are several methods for mitering corners, just use the search on this board to learn how to do it). Because you used a bias strip, the binding will roll nice and flat to the back, and I then hand stitch it down, using a 'blind hem stitch', or a 'ladder stitch'. I DO NOT try to machine sew it down, as I know me too well and I will definitely screw that up. Feel free to try it on a small sample to see if it works for you. I hope this helps. I encourage you to find a tutorial for "french binding" so you can see it in action. I hope I have this clear enough to follow, clear as mud,
You did this very well, I make mine just like this and it looks so professional.
Lesley
Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 PM

I liked the tutorial on youtube. I have a hard time grasping the concept just by reading. I learn more by actually seeing something done. Thanks for posting.