Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda >

Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda

Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda

Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suzic46
Thanks Rhonda! I'm just finishing up my first block, I used 2 1/2" squares to make the block, it's turning out really nice. I was feeling pretty stupid, but you helped me a lot, thanks!
Suzi if you can make things like your avatar and the centers I have seen in the IRR you have no room to feel stupid!!!!
You do good work! It sometimes takes awhile to get the hang of something new. No problem!! Hope you post pics of your Star Point project!
I love to see what colors people use and how they choose to put things together.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 PM

I finally got one block finished! I posted it in pictures under "1st Try - Star Points" I don't really like the colors I used so I'm going back to the drawing board and starting a new one, different pattern.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 PM

I'm still deciding about purchase of the star point book. I looked at the "lessons" you've posted, Rhonda, and it looks like a lot of waste to cut those angles. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about having never looked at the book.

I won't be making miniatures.

Jean
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

I gave some thought to this as someone else has expressed concern. I sat down last night and figured this out.
If you use a 6 1/2" template you can add an inch and a half and cut out a 9 inch square and then fold it in half so it is triangular. Cut down the fold and you have two triangles and will have alot less waste. The middle section will still need to be rectangular and you will need to cut it the 9" x about 5" to have enough room for the template to fit.

I am going to show how to recycle the leftovers. You can cut larger like I do and have a larger piece to recycle or you can figure out how much is just barely enough and then you will have a little bit of scrap to throw away.( 1/2" to 1" wide).
I like to cut larger because i have another triangular piece leftover from the swatch(not the cut in half triangle) and i use it to make another block. I don't have pics ready to show this yet but I will try to post this tonight or in the morning. We don't throw much away. Yes you will always have some leftovers but there are ways to use them.

This is for those who do want to do miniatures and have asked me how big to cut the swatches. You could use the same method above if you like but this is how we do it.

When I use a 1 1/2" template I cut swatches about 2" x 3" to make my blocks. Then I pull apart the leftovers and turn them to use for the next block.

When Dorothy does these for me she measures and finds the smallest number to cut the swatch. Then she sews and cuts the 1 1/2" blocks and sets the leftovers aside. Then she pulls apart the leftovers and resets them to sew them again and cuts out 1 1/4" blocks. Then she repeats this and cuts out 1" blocks for me.
She does these in an assembly line fashion. I use the 1 1/2" for hotpads and bookmarks and sometimes checkbook covers. The 1 1/4" I use for bookmarks checkbook covers eyeglass cases etc. The 1" I make 3" quilt blocks and keychains and magnets. And I use these 3" blocks in sampler quilt hotpads.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:16 PM

I usually look through a book BEFORE I buy it to be sure there are enough things that I want to make in it to be worth the investment. While I am sure that your templates and method ARE good, the only block than I can envision is a 4 pointed star.

Would this Star Point Blocks method yield any other blocks?

Whoops - I just looked at the OTHER thread Admin posted and see that there ARE other blocks. I'm looking forqard to your othe lessons and will probably buy the book and templates!

thanks - Joanne
Old 08-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Ok here are some pics to show how we recycle the leftovers.

You can always use any scraps for a crazy quilt also or any other of my Blocks.

The first pic is of the joined swatches and the second one is cutting out the block.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-13909.jpe  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Second step cut out the block
Attached Thumbnails attachment-25428.jpe  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Now you can pull apart the leftovers. If you start in the center you should be able to easily pull it apart. If it doesn't come apart easily just use a seam ripper.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-24575.jpe  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Now you have the seam seperated. Do the same to both sides of the center.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-24457.jpe  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

You can now trim the pieces to make them ready to reuse them. Look for the longest line you can use( an area on the fabric where you can get the longest place to cut) and lay your ruler on it. Use your cutter and cut a straight edge. Make sure you check to see if the width is wide enough for the template you will be using.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-24040.jpe