Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
String Piecing on adding machine paper >

String Piecing on adding machine paper

String Piecing on adding machine paper

Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I sew all sorts of shapes together using my old dryer sheets. I will also sew strips on them and just collect them until I had enough to design with. Even the tiniest pieces can be sewed. What great about this technique is that you have the blocks already.
Hey, I like this idea also. I had heard it years ago and had forgotten about it. Do you have a problem with the dryer sheets being so wrinkled after they come out of the laundry? I don't guess you could iron them, could you? Wouldn't they melt? But this would be great for scrap squares!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 PM

what is a wonky strip? and do you leave the paper in placecut it out or what.. can you use freezer paper? i know that im full of questions still fairly new at this stuff.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by frenchrose
what is a wonky strip? and do you leave the paper in placecut it out or what.. can you use freezer paper? i know that im full of questions still fairly new at this stuff.
Wonky refers to anything that doesn't behave, such as lumpy or crocked quilt blocks or strips. They are hard to work with when sewing them to something straight. Wonky can also refer to something that's not exactly symetrical.
You use tiny machine stitches when sewing to the paper, and then tear it off when you're finished. I think freezer paper would be too hard to tear because of the plastic backing.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by CircleSquare
Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I sew all sorts of shapes together using my old dryer sheets. I will also sew strips on them and just collect them until I had enough to design with. Even the tiniest pieces can be sewed. What great about this technique is that you have the blocks already.
Hey, I like this idea also. I had heard it years ago and had forgotten about it. Do you have a problem with the dryer sheets being so wrinkled after they come out of the laundry? I don't guess you could iron them, could you? Wouldn't they melt? But this would be great for scrap squares!
I do iron them on a low heat and sometimes put them under a pressing sheet if they are too wrinkled.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by lkhansen
Where do you find 3 inch paper on rolls?

Thanks, K
I did this in my purse, a till receipt from my local supermarket, as I couldn't wait to test out this absolutely fantastic tip:

I know the Manageress very well I am going to ask a favour, if not I will go across the road to the Office Suppliers :idea:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:06 AM

Do you take the paper off after your done? Maybe a silly question, or when do you take the paper off?? :thumbup:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by stchenfool
Do you take the paper off after your done? Maybe a silly question, or when do you take the paper off?? :thumbup:
Not a silly question in my book. I too am asking about all this paper business. Why is it necessary, what is the purpose of it. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Been down to the Supermarket and got 2 rolls free :thumbup: and this is my setup, I am right chuffed as with this tip as it is a superb way to make Piano Key borders :idea: IMO

Old 01-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Been down to the Supermarket and got 2 rolls free :thumbup: and this is my setup, I am right chuffed as with this tip as it is a superb way to make Piano Key borders :idea: IMO

I think this idea has all our creative juices flowing. Love your accent, Quilting addictUK!! (especially "right chuffed! - one of my friends here in Canada is from Wales!)

Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Who did it? How'd it turn out? Photo?