Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: String Piecing on adding machine paper

Blog Entries
    Piano keys for a border great idea. Thank you for the tute.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    Piano keys for a border great idea. Thank you for the tute.
    Thanks. Often that exactly what a quilt needs

What kind paper are you using on your roll?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Newby0709 View Post
    I'd like to see a picture(s) of a completed quilt(s) using this method for ideas. Looks like fun and interesting way to use scraps. Thanks
    Search "Scrappy and I like it!" post here on the quilting board. I used this method on the borders of that quilt.

Would hand sewing the pieces on the paper work as well as machine sewing? This would be something to do while watching tv.

Quote Originally Posted by The Babe View Post
    Would hand sewing the pieces on the paper work as well as machine sewing? This would be something to do while watching tv.
    I don't think that's a good idea as you have to tear the paper off & your hand stitches might not be tight enough, and would get pulled out or stretched.

Blog Entries
    Great idea but doesn't sewing thru paper dull the needle?
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Great idea!!! Sure will turn out nice used in a quilt but I just wondered where you get the paper...???
    Elfi
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds....you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds!!!

That is soooooo cool. Thanks for the idea

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Fish View Post
    I have done miles and miles of the string piecing this way for borders, quilt blocks, etc...I use 3" wide paper and can when done, cut pieces for many many different patterns.
    I like it sort of wonky rather than each piece cut exactly the same and sewn straight..but you can do either
    I start with my paper in a box or in the pic you can see I use the thread holder...anything to keep it from rolling all over.
    I cut my scraps anywhere from about 1" wide to 1 1/2" wide and about 3 1/2" long.
    First you lay one piece right side up on the end of your paper...lay the next strip face down on that and sew as shown using 1/4" seam allowance.. Flip it back and finger press and then lay the next piece face down on that and repeat...I like to sew them at a little angle here and there to make them "wonky".....continue on as long as you like but I find normally I stopped at about 1 yard of the piecing and trimmed it as shown and then rolled it up and continued on...make sense?
    I do nearly all my quilt borders this way, using a till roll. I use a small machine stitch and always start and finish each scrap with a fastening stitch to make sure it is secure when I remove the paper. I measure out the length I need and then stitch until it is all covered, making sure a little of the fabric overlaps the edges. It looks particularly good if you angle some of the strips. I give it a good press and then rotary cut along both long edges to trim to size. It's an excellent way to produce really straight borders that don't curve! (A word of warning - don't use thermal till rolls - they turn black when you press them!)

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 ... LastLast