Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Vintage Machine Applique (you can use a modern machine if you like) >

Vintage Machine Applique (you can use a modern machine if you like)

Vintage Machine Applique (you can use a modern machine if you like)

Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Muv

Default Vintage Machine Applique (you can use a modern machine if you like)

At the moment I am making a wall hanging and quilt to commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and have been posting pictures of work in progress on this thread:-

http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...e-t186260.html

The Patriotic Challenge was started by two Canadian members QuiltE and works4me. They have been doing a grand job of cheering me on, otherwise I think I might have been quite daunted by the scale of the project I have taken on. I have been posting pictures to show that I am busy working on the quilt, without actually showing what it will look like - I want to save that until the end! However, people have wanted to know more about the method I have been using, so here are some pictures I have taken today to explain how it is done.

I have called this Vintage Machine Applique because it is ideal for use with straight stitch machines, but if you to use a modern machine you could zigzag instead of hand sewing over the raw edge. It's just that I am a true vintage girl and have never used anything other than a straight stitch machine.

THE METHOD:-

First you need to prepare a stencil of your design (or a section of it). I use ordinary greaseproof paper as tracing paper to trace the design.

Next, using the sewing machine, make a stencil. I use either ordinary printer paper or brown greaseproof paper (it tends to be stronger than the white). Put a thick needle in the machine, an old blunt one will be fine, and put the tracing on top of the stencil paper and follow the line of the tracing so that you make stencil with the design appearing as a line of perforations on the paper underneath.

The reason I don't use the actual tracing as a stencil is that I do not want to risk transferring pencil onto my work, and secondly, if the stencil has already been perforated once, by the time you remove it from your work it has been perforated twice, and so is easier to remove.

In the pictures I show a stencil with the date 1952, which is going to be in purple on a cream background. The stencil is pinned in position on the purple, which has been laid on top of the cream.

Then it is time to machine sew through all three layers.

The stencil is then torn away, taking care not to pull on the stitching.

Next, the purple is trimmed away about an eighth of an inch outside the stitching line. The raw edge is finished with blanket stitch - I have been using four strands of stranded cotton. It is best to trim as you go so that you do not leave a narrow raw edge exposed for too long before it is sewn over.

This method is very easy. You need no spray starch, freezer paper, iron on backing or anything other than the fabrics you are using and paper. The end result has a real vintage look about it.

If you try this method out, please let me know how you get on!
Attached Thumbnails e2r1952-039.jpg   e2r1952-052.jpg   e2r1952-056.jpg   e2r1952-068.jpg   e2r1952-072.jpg  

Last edited by Muv; 05-09-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM

This was very interesting. I recently aquired a Singer 237 which is supposed to make a real nice satin stitch. This would be a great way to try it out.

Please show us your project when its finished!

Thanks,
Colleen
Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished International Patriotic Project. Thanks for sharing with us!!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Muv really great tutorial thank you so much for taking the time to make it ..Is Reynolds Freezer paper considered greaseless? ..do you know.. It is what I usually us for tracing and my english paperpiecing projects.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Oh Muv that is so neat! I'm gonna bookmark this & try it out as soon as I get caught up!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Muv

Hello Jenniky,

Sorry, I don't know how the papers we have here compare with papers you have there. Greaseproof paper is what we use for lining cake tins and wrapping food - you probably have exactly the same thing but call it something different. Just use whatever paper you find best! Provided it has no print on it, is strong and cheap, try it out.

As for freezer paper, I had to ask in a quilt shop what it was...

Perhaps I need you here Jenniky to recommend a paper available in the States...
Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

parchment paper?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Muv

Hello Miriam. Goatskin vellum?

Here are some more pictures to show progress. Once it is finished and ironed it loses that scruffy look.
Attached Thumbnails 1952-2-002.jpg   1952-2-008.jpg   1952-2-012.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 AM

MUV, That is very nicely done! Thanks for posting this tutorial.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM

I like that idea a whole lot. It makes the applique stand out with it being edged with the buttonhole stitch.

Anita in Northfield, MN