Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Walker Caddy Tutorial - Written Instructions Added >

Walker Caddy Tutorial - Written Instructions Added

Walker Caddy Tutorial - Written Instructions Added

Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 AM

Front of caddy - 1 piece 18" x 22"
Back of caddy - 1 piece 18" x 22"
Lining - 1 piece 18" x 22" (muslin,solid, or compliment to main fabric)
Batting - 1 piece 19" x 23"
Pellon 808 Craft Fuse - 1 piece 18" x 22"
1 pair athletic shoe laces, 38" long or twill tape will also work.
Steam-A-Seam 1/2" tape
40" of double fold extra wide bias tape

Cell Phone Pouch (optional)
Front of pouch - 1 piece 6" x 4 1/2"
Back of pouch - 1 piece 6" x 4 1/2"
Lining - 1 piece 6" x 4 1/2"
Batting - 1 piece 6 1/4" x 4 3/4"

Measurements for the cell phone pouch are based on my cell phone which is very small. You may wish to adjust the size of the pouch to accommodate the larger cell phones of today.

Form your quilt sandwich with front, batting and back. Quilt as desired. I chose to outline the emblems in the pattern. Trim excess batting. Put this piece aside.

If making the cell phone pouch, form a sandwich of material that matches the back of the caddy, then the batting and finally the fabric that matches the lining of the caddy. Quilt as desired. I chose to crosshatch this small piece.

Replace walking foot with 1/4 inch quilting foot for remainder of project.

Fuse Pellon 808 Craft Fuse to the back fabric of the caddy. Put this piece aside.

Make a sandwich of the quilted cell phone pouch and the 6" x 4 1/2" piece that matches the fabric you used for the front of the caddy by placing it with right side against the pouch. Stitch 1/4" on three sides of the pouch, leaving a short side open. Clip corners, trim seams close to stitching. Turn pouch inside out. Poke out corners so you have a little pouch with the top open. Trim open end of pouch to make nice smooth edges. Secure Steam-A-Seam tape to the inside of tope of the pouch. Fold down the top of the pouch 1/2" to the inside of the pouch and finger press. Remove paper from Steam-A-Seam exposing the fusible surface and press. You will have a small pouch with an opening on the top. You may top stitch the edge of the opening if desired for additional stability.

Place the completed cell phone pouch 1 and 1/2" down and in the center of the caddy back, the fabric fused to the Pellon, pin in place. Stitch pouch to caddy back by sewing 1/4" on three sides of the pouch, leaving top open. Stitch only the back of the pouch opening to the back of the caddy. The pouch is now secure to the back of the caddy.

Take one shoe lace and fold in half. Pin shoe lace 1" down from the top of the caddy front, on the seam line, with the laces pointing toward the center of the caddy. Repeat with the other shoe lace on the opposite side of the caddy front.

Lay the lining on top of the caddy front, you will have a sandwich of the quilted caddy front, the shoe laces pinned in place on either side of the top and the caddy lining. The fabric should be right sides together.

Starting at the top right, just above the shoe lace, begin stitching 1/4" seam and back stitch over the shoe lace to add strength. Continue stitching down the right side, back stitch at the corner to add strength. Continue stitching across the bottom of the caddy to the left corner, again back stitching to give it strength and complete seam to the top left. Back Stitch over the shoe lace to give it strength.

Clip corners, trim as close to seam as possible. Turn caddy inside out, poking out the corners. Finger press all around the sewn edges to flatten out the caddy. Use a ruler and rotary cutter to make the top edge even and smooth.

Pin the bias tape to the inside of the caddy opening and stitch in place. Fold the bias tape over the raw edge and top stitch in place on the right side of the caddy. Top stitch the caddy 1/4" from the tope right edge, just below the bias tape, to the left top edge just below the bias tape.

Decide how many compartments you want in the caddy. I chose to make one narrow compartment and one larger. Stitch from the bottom of the caddy to the top of the caddy just below the bias tape, back stitch at the top to give it added strength.

I know that this includes things that you know as experienced folks, but I tried to write it for the person who may be just starting out.

If I haven't totally confused you beyond all reason you should have a fully functional walker caddy with a cell phone pouch.

Enjoy,
Betty
Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 AM

Do you have a picture to show what it will look like?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Here is the link to the picture tutorial that goes along with these directions :D:D:D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135414-1.htm
Old 07-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Here is the link to the picture tutorial that goes along with these directions :D:D:D

Many thanks. I guess I really messed up all the way around.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks for adding the directions. I was thinking, instead of a pouch for a cell phone, perhaps one for eyeglasses.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 AM

This is a great tutorial!
I have made one from other instructions that has used fabric folded in 1/2 to make larger pockets along the bottom.
For those who have made the BowTucks bag, - Think the inner pockets... For those who have not use the width of the bag for your Width of Fabric for the pockets, and double it for the height. So on this bag, use a 16"x22" piece of fabric (or whatever size you think will fit the bag). Fold it in half and press. Line the raw edges up with the bottomand sides of the bag. Sew it to the sides of the bag front or back (you can do it on both sides to add more pockets) after you have done your quilting and sew either 2 or 3 seams from the top of your pockets to the bottom of the bag and pockets.
Finish your bag as described by this tutorial.

Happy quilting!
Susan
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BettyGee
Originally Posted by amma

Many thanks. I guess I really messed up all the way around.
You didn't mess up! You did great! I just thought it was in Word and I don't have Word on my computer.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

you didn't mess up :D besides, what are friends for? :D:D:D
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Thanks for adding the directions. I was thinking, instead of a pouch for a cell phone, perhaps one for eyeglasses.
Excellent idea! I think that if you were making one for someone in particular you could put pouches/pockets with that person's likes and needs in mind. I learned a lot making this one and will probably change the pattern to fit the person as you have suggested. Have fun with it.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Angellight
This is a great tutorial!
I have made one from other instructions that has used fabric folded in 1/2 to make larger pockets along the bottom.
For those who have made the BowTucks bag, - Think the inner pockets... For those who have not use the width of the bag for your Width of Fabric for the pockets, and double it for the height. So on this bag, use a 16"x22" piece of fabric (or whatever size you think will fit the bag). Fold it in half and press. Line the raw edges up with the bottomand sides of the bag. Sew it to the sides of the bag front or back (you can do it on both sides to add more pockets) after you have done your quilting and sew either 2 or 3 seams from the top of your pockets to the bottom of the bag and pockets.
Finish your bag as described by this tutorial.

Happy quilting!
Susan
I like it! Many thanks for the input, I need all the help I can get.