Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ahhhh, first Indiana machine of worth :D >

Ahhhh, first Indiana machine of worth :D

Ahhhh, first Indiana machine of worth :D

Old 07-31-2015, 07:41 PM

Default Ahhhh, first Indiana machine of worth :D

There was a really huge estate sale here in NE IN the last couple days, tons of fabric, zippers, buttons, and some other goodies. Forum member QuiltingVagabond sent me a PM about it with the CL link. She wanted pics if we went and I did mention it to my wife. Sorry about the lack of pics, but thanks for the heads up.

My wife didn't remember the pics but she did get a bunch of really nice American made fabrics, buttons, ribbon, blanket binding, lace and some patterns. MY SIL bought almost 50 pieces of holey plastic sheets for cross stitching.

(My bad I didn't hear him tell me about the pics. There was a bunch of Mennonite women there yesterday and they were hogging the zippers and some of the notions that were out.
I sort of pushed my way into the box of bias tapes and rick rack.Some one had been there and had been shopping like crazy the first day I went. They had a HUGE pile sitting next to the gals cashing people out.
Here is a link to the Facebook page that "Angie Smith" posted pics on of the sale on the first day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1581...group_activity

Originally they were going to start on Friday but they got set up on Thursday and decided to go ahead and start selling. Lucky for me that I am a member of that page and saw her post.
Elaine )

My wife went both yesterday and today. Yesterday she saw the only sewing machine they had. She told me it was in a grungy case and was one of the old black Singers, but she didn't know which model. They wanted $350.00 for it. ROFLMBO for sure. She told them in it's condition they'd be doing good to get $35.00 for it. The strange thing was, nobody running this sale sewed at all.
Today she went back and talked them down to ....... I'm still laughing at this ..... $8.00.

The machine is a Model 15-91. Serial # AK 812708. One of 50,000 allotted March 3 of 1952. Almost my birthday. It is complete but was locked up with some rust here and there, nothing really terrible. It took me almost 15 minutes to get it freed up. Now it's sits over night soaking in Tri-Flow.
Here's some pics of it now, sorry but but I got all excited and forgot to take some before pics.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526559[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526560[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526561[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526562[/ATTACH]

The machine was originally a cabinet machine, and someone rewired the foot controller with wire insulated with sp1 size insulation and an after market foot controller.
I'm going to clean it up, put it in a better case and redo the wiring as a correct portable machine. Hopefully I'll have one of the double wiring set ups in my extra parts but if not I can order one from Sew-Classic.

Now I got a machine worthy of my efforts.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_6215.jpg   img_6218.jpg   img_6221.jpg   img_6217.jpg  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:43 PM

Well, you saved another one. Those are great machines. I just did one and it went to a quilting buddy. Now the 15 clone, after the White 77. I just can't get excited about the White. The 201 went great. It is like-new. The lady is coming after the Golden Touch and Sew this weekend. I cleaned, oiled and greased it for her. Took pity on it really. It impressed me with its capabilities, although with no foot controller, was unable to sew with it. Hope she can get one and sew away. Those 15s are great machines. After the 201, they are my absolute favorites.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:42 AM

Nice get Joe!. Not in perfect condition but not terrible either. Judging by the rust in the hook area it looks like it sat for a long time.
Rodney
Old 08-01-2015, 04:17 AM

Wow! $350 down to $8!! Elaine can shop with me anytime!!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:18 AM

What my camera didn't show is the sooty grey black junk on the outside of the case. I suspect that machine has been near a fire. It didn't get directly wet, but enough so that the lower parts got some rust.
I won't be able to finish cleaning it till I can get back to Springfield to the storage locker and get my stuff. Hopefully we can make a run next week.

Joe
Old 08-01-2015, 05:07 AM

Great find!! She is going to be great after you give her a spa treatment!!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 AM

I agree, nice get! Whoa Elaine is an amazing bargainer. She done really really good! I know you will do amazing things with that machine. Have fun with it!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Great Joe, Now you have replaced the one you sold me. I love mine (yours!)
Old 08-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Elaine is a super shopper!
Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 PM

Isn't that a Centennial, Joe? Looks like it to me. What a deal!