Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Gifted with Minnesota Model B that needs restoration >

Gifted with Minnesota Model B that needs restoration

Gifted with Minnesota Model B that needs restoration

Old 07-28-2016, 05:39 AM

Default Gifted with Minnesota Model B that needs restoration

I was gifted with a Minnesota Model B machine. The hand wheel and the foot base move like it was new. And the bobbin/shuttle is included. But the machine head is terribly peeling and there is some rust. Sadly, it will need a new paint job. Additionally, I know nothing about this machine or it's worth. And, the cabinet is in sad condition also, as if it was left out in the rain. Is it worth restoring? How do I find someone to do this for me? I've called around and asked around, but can't seem to get any traction. I'm located in Michigan by the way. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Grammahunt; 07-28-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 AM

For sure, it's not worth the cost of paying someone to restore it for you. If you enjoy doing the work for yourself, then it's a labor of love.

if there is sentimental value, then it might still be "worth" the cost. it's way too easy to find one in nice condition for an affordable price. It really is worth what you paid for it.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:54 AM

Thanks for your honest opinion, Macybaby. If I junk the machine and cabinet, is there any value in keeping the bobbin or any other parts?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Banned

How about offering it on a local sales list or group to someone who might enjoy the challenge?

Cari
Old 07-28-2016, 03:22 PM

If you don't have an interest in doing it yourself, please consider passing the machine on to someone that does. There is always value in the parts. You don't say if it's a treadle, the cast iron part is usually saleable, but most likely to someone that has no interest in using it as a treadle.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

Some machines are very good candidates to be donor machines. The parts could keep another machine going a while. The cabinet may have good parts as well. Even the hinges are nice to get when one needs a hinge. But if it sews, it doesn't have to be perfect... why not use it? I have some crummy looking machines that I just love to use. A bit of clean up and who knows you might have a diamond in the rough. Shoot a pic of it and maybe we can see what it needs to be servicable. It isn't worth anything but there is satisfaction in making an old derelict go back to work.

Last edited by miriam; 07-29-2016 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:56 AM

It sounds like someone didn't appreciate the fine art of sewing - also sounds like you have an item to sew with if you don't mind the look. If it bothers you, use it as a decorative item someplace in the house?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:24 AM

This machine goes way beyond overlooking its beauty. It is a treadle. the problem is that the paint is in huge flakes, the rust, and it will need a new belt. I just think it is beyond my talents.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:32 PM

I'm not knowledgeable about treadles, but yes, there is value in the shuttle and bobbins. I have a hand crank machine that needs a shuttle. It is $65.00 from Helen Howe (and she asks you not to buy it if you aren't going to use it). I assume that was plus freight. I don't think it included the bobbin.
bkay
Old 08-26-2016, 11:29 AM

I do think I am going to bite the bullet and give it a go. I appreciate any and all advice. I'd post a photo if I can figure out how.

On Facebook someone posted that they had used Goof Off to strip the old paint. Any experience here on the board with this product? Any other products I should try?? First tho I have to figure out how to disassemble it so I can put it back together.