Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Good basic solid vintage zz machine? >

Good basic solid vintage zz machine?

Good basic solid vintage zz machine?

Old 12-16-2014, 01:26 PM

Default Good basic solid vintage zz machine?

I'm still looking for a good SOLID basic zigzag machine and my head is starting to spin with all the info I have to wade through, only to find some are slant needle, which I don't want, or do only straight stitch...

Maybe you can help me narrow things down.

I have a 201 for straight stitch and a Citation for zigzag -- but I want something more solid for the zigzag - along the lines of the Singer 328k which belongs to my husband. Of course we could share, but he does not take care of things - the 328 tends to ride in his pick-up along with a lot of other stuff that lives in there....

The 328 makes a better stitch than my Citation or my Necchi, both 70s (metal) machines.
I was originally looking for a 50s/60s Japanese machine and I now wonder how they compare to the 328.
Can anyone suggest a Japanese ZZ machine that is as solid as the 328?

I looked up 319s, since one is available locally, but they are just a bit too much of a machine since I don't need the embroidery functions. I make cloth bags, so I want to be able to go through several layers and need as much clearance under the foot as the 201 has.

TIA.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

I like the 328s but about any Japanese zz is good - avoid a plastic cam stack - Kenmore makes some real nice old zzers, too.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:20 PM

Why no slant needle? I can't think of any disadvantages to one other than you need slant needle feet to go with it.
Rodney
Old 12-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Any of the 50's Brothers: Flairmatic, Riviera, Prestige, SelectoMatic, and others, any of my Brother machines would put that 328 to shame. BUT, that said, you might look at a Singer 237. It's said to have the best zz/satin stitch of any of the old gals.

Cari
Old 12-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Guess I'm odd woman out but I don't care for the 328s at all. I much prefer the Japanese machines. However, I should put a caveat that some are left homing and I don't care for those either. I have a 237 and agree with Cari it's a great machine. So, if you want a Singer, I'd recommend that one.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

The Singer 328 can set the needle LRC and that is a big deal. I have one practically new - it is a very nice machine now that I got the kinks out of it - runs quiet, too. I'm thinking when they get lint in the bobbin area is when they clunk. They are butt ugly. I just sold a Good Housekeeper - I'm not sure who made it - some place in Japan - it was nice and fast and went through layers of jeans fabric. For that guy it was between a turquoise White and the blue Good Housekeeper. He liked all that chrome so he got the GH... more chrome and heavy metal!!! I am thinking the old Brother machines are good but I've seen plenty of really nice old Japanese zig zag machines with nondescript markings.

Last edited by miriam; 12-16-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Banned

You're right Miriam, most of the old Japanese machines are good ones. I'm partial to Brother machines only because I grew up using my moms Brother Prestige. Now my oldest has it and it still sews like it's new. It has never failed to sew whatever I could get under the foot.

Cari
Old 12-16-2014, 04:41 PM

I like the old Kenmores. They are solid, durable, strong, inexpensive, and easy to find parts for.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks for all the opinions - I hope no-one feels slighted if their preferred machine is not liked as much by some others - we all have our preferences.

I e.g. was falling for the Japanese bling machines, the cute, pretty ones, until I realized, yes they are cute, but can they sew a good stitch?

I got the Necchi (70s model) since I was hoping some of the legendary Necchi quality would remain, and though it is a fine machine, I prefer a more solid stitch. I am attaching a stitch sample to explain:

The 2 rows in dark red are sewn with the Necchi, the white stitches are sewn with the the Singer 328k <- before and after adjusting the tension. I could possibly get a somewhat better stitch from the Necchi with some more adjustment, but as it is, the Citation also has that somewhat anemic stitch, so I see a pattern there.... Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I was hoping for better quality. And maybe I looked at the wrong decade!

My question: do the Japanese machines, like the Brothers that Cari mentioned, sew a good stitch?

I don't mind the looks of the 328 - it is a bit more industrial looking, as is the 319, but it works for me.

Things have gotten a bit more fluid now, since DH came home with a cute little green Singer 185j - and that may tip the balance and maybe I can pry the 328 away from him ... if not, I'd still be looking for a (Japanese?)machine that sews a good stitch - and through several layers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502792[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails stitches.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 PM

Weird.

The 328K has 2 (very) different looks:

this is how it is listed at ismacs

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...99/328k_bp.jpg

and this is the one we have - better looking, more character, IMO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sing...item3f433a916a