Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please help me identify my vintage sewing machine. >

Please help me identify my vintage sewing machine.

Please help me identify my vintage sewing machine.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Please help me identify my vintage sewing machine.

I have had this sewing machine for MANY years. It is in great shape. I plugged it and it just came to life. The inlays are still in great shape. In the picture with the dollar bill, you can see that's it's a 2/3 size (I think) machine. The main inlay says "Our Special" There is a serial number on the back; which appears to say TS247909. I am unable to locate any information on this machine. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. We are downsizing and this machine must be sold. I'm not sure what it is; therefore, I cannot determine what it's value is. I know that I paid a couple hundred dollars for it about 10 years ago. I'm not sure if that was a wise investment; however, the machine is very cool and I hope I will be able to recoup my initial investment. I will post pictures in the next post.

Thank you
Jesse
Old 09-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Here are the 3 pictures. If you need any other pictures to assist in identifying this machine, I can take them.

Thanks again for all of your help,
Jesse
Attached Thumbnails os-1.jpg   os-2.jpg   os-3.jpg  
Old 09-28-2014, 02:21 PM

That is made my New Home - referred to as Model T, there are several variations of them.

Based on the underside, I'd guess yours is a type 3.

This one has a different "badged name" but the decals are the same.

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media
Old 09-28-2014, 02:27 PM

BTW- I'd say this was not a good investment, as based on what I've paid recently, you are going to be very lucky to get half what you paid for this machine. Though if it's been recently (like a month or less ago) serviced and the electrical updated, them maybe . . . but then servicing cost about $100 so that is why serviced machines sell for more than unserviced.

But one never knows - it is in very nice shape, but being in a table instead of a case is going to detract from the price. If it was in a very nice bentwood case, you could get more for it.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Basically what Macybaby said. The market is pretty much glutted with old sewing machines. Other than a handful of well known and popular models they just don't bring a lot of money.

Yours is small and cute. That helps but frankly they're a hard sell. I've been watching Craig's List in my market about a year now and there are a couple machines that aren't overpriced in any way that are still there a year later.
Good luck. It's a neat little machine and I would be interested but it's about as far away as it gets.
Rodney
Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 PM

it's cute! was thinking New Home too since I have one of their treadles with a very similar thread thingy on the top
Old 09-28-2014, 04:57 PM

Quilt938 - the top tension is a good part to help determine the Mfg - though sometimes owners have replaced them, and there are other Mfg besides these, but these are three very similar 3/4 size VS machines.

National

Standard

New Home (same model as OP)

Old 09-28-2014, 05:13 PM

Reminds me of this machine I saw a while ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Westing...item2c8ce04a61
Old 09-29-2014, 02:44 AM

Free took control of New Home at some point, and quickly after that all machines mfg under the "New Home" name were the same as Free, and very different than the older style New Home machines. They take different shuttles, needles and attachments too. Free made machines have a much wider throat plate and take the same shuttle as Singer.

As to what the top tension for Free machines looks like, Free didn't actually make any top tension machines - except those under the New Royal design. That one is a totally different machine, looks nothing like the other Free (or New Home ) and takes different attachments needles and shuttle. Looks way more like a Davis machine except the belt is toward the machine side of the flywheel. Davis has the belt on the outside of the flywheel.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:48 AM

for fun- this is what a Free/New Royal "Apartment" machine looks like. Quite a bit different than a New Home made "Apartment" machine.

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media

It's not uncommon for badged names to be used by several different Mfg over time. Often the "Badge" was owned by the reseller. And sometimes it was not copywrited so anyone could use it.