15 91 belt or motor?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM

The throat may only be 6.5 inches, but what it lacks in length it more than makes up for in height. It is a smidge taller than 8 inches. There is a ton of room under the arm of a 15-91.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:59 PM

In the six months since I've been sewing with it, I've only done small projects. Most of them were not quilted so I have no idea if a large quilt will fit. I'm very impressed with the machine.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 AM
Power Poster

Yes this. We have both.
If you are looking for an electric one I would go for gear driven and no belt. If you want to convert it to a treadle or hand cranck you want the one with a belt and a spoke hand wheel.

It is supposed to be the best for free motion sewing, the gear driven one. The throat opening is very high and unobstructed. You could do a king size quilt on it.

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
If it has a belt it is not a 15-91. Don't hold me to this part because it is early and I may have the treadle and the belted models backwards: 15-88 is a treadle, 15-90 is belted and 15-91 is gear driven by the motor.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-31-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 AM

I use my 15-91 with #16 needle and v-69 thread to repair boat covers and the like. It does a beautiful job. Better than my Reliable Barracuda industrial. I love the 15.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
It is supposed to be the best for free motion sewing, the gear driven one.
Hey Anna, out of curiousity, why the gear driven one for FM especially? I have the belted one (15-90), and it FMQs beautifully. I don't notice the motor being an issue at all, though it's a little lower than a potted motor (15-91) and technically does encroach on the throat space a smidge.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I'm going to try here first. I have a 15- (that's what it says on the emblem that is attached below the centennial badge) that was in a treadle. Has the spoked hand wheel. It has a place on it to mount a motor. Should I look for a belt driven motor and keep the spoked hand wheel or should I get a non spoked hand wheel and a potted motor?
Old 02-11-2015, 05:29 PM

Alyce,

You can put a regular belt driving motor on and keep the spoked hand wheel very easily. Those parts are available as new aftermarket or used OEM from many sources.

If I were to seriously consider converting it to electric, I'd hunt up an OEM motor, wiring, foot controller, bobbin winder / belt guard and hand wheel. That could be expensive.

To convert it to a potted motor could be a challenge as those motors are no where near as common as replacement parts as the belt style. You will also have to get a special hand wheel due to the gear drive.

Joe
Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I'm going to try here first. I have a 15- (that's what it says on the emblem that is attached below the centennial badge) that was in a treadle. Has the spoked hand wheel. It has a place on it to mount a motor. Should I look for a belt driven motor and keep the spoked hand wheel or should I get a non spoked hand wheel and a potted motor?
I'll trade you a non spoked wheel for your original spoked wheel any time you wish I love hand cranking the Singer 15-90 or what ever number it is. Some of the Singer 15's - at least the real old ones have a real heavy spoked wheel, too - those machines will sew through about anything you put in there. Very nice machines - I use an ugly well loved old Singer 15-75 - I really like that machine - I've kept it electric. No it doesn't have the potted motor.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'll trade you a non spoked wheel for your original spoked wheel any time you wish I love hand cranking the Singer 15-90 or what ever number it is. Some of the Singer 15's - at least the real old ones have a real heavy spoked wheel, too - those machines will sew through about anything you put in there. Very nice machines - I use an ugly well loved old Singer 15-75 - I really like that machine - I've kept it electric. No it doesn't have the potted motor.
Miriam, that is definitely under consideration. I got a different 15 with a motor, but, the hand wheel looks like it was chipped off to the base and when we got it off, the end of the shaft looks broken, compared with my nice 15- that has the spoked wheel. I'm hoping to make one electric machine out of it, put it in the cabinet the 66 is in, and be able to do FMQ. Of course now that I am puttering with the machines, I haven't done any real sewing but mending.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Alyce,

You can put a regular belt driving motor on and keep the spoked hand wheel very easily. Those parts are available as new aftermarket or used OEM from many sources.

If I were to seriously consider converting it to electric, I'd hunt up an OEM motor, wiring, foot controller, bobbin winder / belt guard and hand wheel. That could be expensive.

To convert it to a potted motor could be a challenge as those motors are no where near as common as replacement parts as the belt style. You will also have to get a special hand wheel due to the gear drive.

Joe
Thanks Joe. All is under consideration at this time. I have to figure out what I'm able to actually do vs. think about. I hate the idea of taking it to the OSMG.