Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
15-91 tension assembly question >

15-91 tension assembly question

15-91 tension assembly question

Old 03-17-2017, 07:26 AM

Default 15-91 tension assembly question

I took apart my tension assembly to clean and in looking at the diagrams noticed that the tension stud on my machine is turned a different way than what is pictured. In the picture the "forks" (N) of the stud are horizontal but mine are vertical...does that matter? I have gotten the assembly back together but I seem to be having a hard time setting it right. In other wards it is too tight and I can't seem to get it where I want it. Also, what can I put on that stud to lubricate it just a bit because I have a hard time getting the thumb nut back on and the stud is somewhat grungy.

One more thing...the directions for reassembly say to put the numbered dial (C) on the stud so that the number 2 is opposite the extension (S) of the stop washer (D). Does that mean to line them up? In other words do I make sure that extension is behind that number 2 on the dial?

I hope all that made sense and someone can help me out a bit more. I have looked at a few tutorials and utubes but was just not 100% sure of those few things. Also a lot of the diagrams etc are for tension assemblies that are on the front of the machine so they are a bit different.

Last edited by minibarn; 03-17-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-17-2017, 10:15 AM

Check out the manual at http://web.archive.org/web/201604030...achine_manual/. Look for the section titled "The tension mechanism". Page 8 starts the Singer 15 info but there is referral back to what to do for a 66 or 99 type machine in there too. Hope this helps!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:28 PM

This is the best tutorial I have found for this type of tensioner; she talks you through all the uncertain points along the way. It's not very wrong to have the fork vertical in stead of horizontal, but you likely end up with the numbers a bit off (about half a turn). The trick is to get all pieces correctly together, and then get the tiny pin B in the correct hole for the dial to turn freely from about 0 to 9. It's all right to have it slighly off, a number or so, but not way off. With the fork in the right position you can adjust the bottom tension from an upper setting half way between 4 and 5.

The test is to be able to turn the dial from about 0 to 9 (or sometimes about 0 to 0); with the presser foot down and machine fully threaded, you should notice an increase in tension as you turn the dial up (pulling the thread through the needle). It should release thread when presser foot is up.

I don't know about all the variations of model 15, but from a quick picture seach I see a lot of them have the stud fork adusted diagonally.

Last edited by Mickey2; 03-17-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:39 PM

I finally figured it out! Thank you ddtrina, I have that pdf but read through it more thoroughly and realized the direction of the stud determines where the "+ -" land. Because the 15-91 has the tensioner on the face plate, the stud needs to be horizontal so that the "+-" are facing the sewer (me). As opposed to the tensioner that is on the front and the "+-" will land on the top.

Mickey2- the only reason I don't like that tutorial is because the front mounted one has the take up spring in a different place due to placement of the tensioner on the machine. Not that the tutorial is bad, just not what I need. There is a utube that does a 15-91 and while helpful, it did not answer my questions.

Anyway, I got it all figured out and put back together and aside from possibly ordering another take up spring I think all is well.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 PM

I've been looking at a really NICE 15-91 at auction & was wondering what they are going for in general?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
I've been looking at a really NICE 15-91 at auction & was wondering what they are going for in general?
In my area I've seen them go for as little as $5 at a local auction(barn fresh) to $250 for a nice one in a sought after cabinet with lots of fiddly bits in the drawers. It's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it.

Cari
Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Here most used machines can fetch around $60 in general, almost regardless of model and condition. That said in good working order tend to sell faster, and the average straight stitcher doesn't sell that fast unless the price is down to $30. Some models, or older machines in exceptional condition can fetch up to $250, but it's not often. Someone tried to sell a a very nice Featherweight 222 with lots of accessories and attachments for the equivalent of $450. The owner didn't want to lower the price and it didn't sell even though it was up for months and months. I don't know what happened to it eventually.

Prices is a bit hard to determen, since these old machines are literally given away some times. I can say I payed $75 for my 201 in a small table; it needed a few replacement parts and a bit of tending too, a few signs of age and use, but generally it was in nice conditon. I have never regretted the time and money I spent on this machine.

Last edited by Mickey2; 03-22-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Banned

Mickey I'm sure I'm not the only one who will say I would have been all over a nice 222 for that price. Heck, I'd even pay that much for a 222 in not so nice condition.

Cari
Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 PM

YES!!! What Cari said -- me too.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.