Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1938 featherweight

The smoke smells a bit like the cleaning solvent. But that may be due to the fact that I have been at this most of the day and can only smell that any more. The motor housing is getting very hot after 10 mi utes of running. Hotter than it should I' m afraid.

Kittys,

Well, I would not have taken the motor completely apart, but since you did, I'm gonna suggest a couple things.

First: Make sure it's back together so the armature shaft does not bind. It should turn effortlessly.

Second: Make sure all the wiring is properly connected. A bad connection will reduce the current the motor is getting and can get hot.

Third: Make double sure the bearings are greased. Getting too hot after 10 minutes sounds like a lube problem to me.

Fourth: If none of this helps, you might have to take it back apart and start over. If all is well it should stop smoking.

Joe

Is the smoke decreasing any? 10 minutes of all out running, no stop, smoking motor is too long. A minute is plenty going full steam for testing. Does the motor operate the FW properly under load or is it slow and sluggish? Good luck.

Jon

Hi Kittys. If it's getting hotter than it should, there isn't enough (or any) grease in the motor's bearings. If it smells like solvent, you probably didn't clean all of the solvent off.
    I'd be most concerned about the overheating: Solvent won't kill it but lack of grease will.
    Mike
    My Singers: Singer 12 MOP (1885), 2xImproved Family (1886, 1888), VS2 Roses and Daisies (1891), 29k58, 96k41 (1949), 201p (1958) 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 319K (1960), 320k2(1959), 411g
    Others: Bernina Record 530-2 (1958), Bernina 642-1 (1960)
    http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Too all the newbies this is where it's at concerning anything about sewing machine repair. Can't beat it.

You might look at this website: http://www.featherweight221.com/fwrx/index.html. I bought his book several years ago and he now has a DVD as well. It is very useful. The man's name is Dave McCallum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2