Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1948 Singer - worth $75

Ive come across a 1948 Singer in a cabinet, for $ 75. Debating if I want to pay that. I don't NEED it. The cabinet is nothing special, but at least it's in a cabinet. The owner said the machine works. I will see tomorrow, as I'm going to look at it and try it out. Thanks for your input. Sandy

Nowadays you couldn't BUY a true wood cabinet for that let alone a machine that works and will last longer than these plastic jobs of today.

id buy it, clean it up and depending on the model sell it or keep it as a back up

Blog Entries
    Well worth that price! They are selling on Ebay for $300 +
    Check out all the cords on the machine, especially where they go into the motor, light and on down to the foot pedal/knee pedal and plug in cord. It's the wiring that usually goes bad on these machines, not the machines themselves. Any cracking or dry rotting cords should be replaced before you plug in and turn on. And yes, you can find wiring kits for these if you Google.

Blog Entries
    You can always make an offer. He can take it or counter.

Thank you Ladies, for your input. I will be sure and check out the cords.

Blog Entries
    It depends a lot on the model of the Singer and its condition. Personally, I would not pay that much for most Singers in a cabinet unless the cabinet were really something special. In thrift shops where I am, a medium-condition old Singer in a ho-hum cabinet would sell for $35 to $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    It depends a lot on the model of the Singer and its condition. Personally, I would not pay that much for most Singers in a cabinet unless the cabinet were really something special. In thrift shops where I am, a medium-condition old Singer in a ho-hum cabinet would sell for $35 to $50.
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I agree with this. I just picked up a 1950 model 15-91 in a cabinet with all the attachment for 50.00 in really good condition. I also recently picked up a 1948 66-16 for 30.00 but the cabinet was a little rough and the machine needed rewiring. I would also make sure you look at the wiring. A lot of the older machines need rewired they have cracked cords with exposed wires. My dh rewired my 66-16 for me.

Blog Entries
    that sounds like a great deal you could sell it for alot more than that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast