Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1950's pink Atlas Sewing Machine on C/L Portland, OR >

1950's pink Atlas Sewing Machine on C/L Portland, OR

1950's pink Atlas Sewing Machine on C/L Portland, OR

Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Banned

I would offer them $100 cash max. You would be surprised how "flexible" folks can be on these.

I saw an 1870's Willcox and Gibbs full treadle setup locally listed for $550. (yikes) but throwing caution to the wind, I sent them a message explaining who I was, why I wanted it so bad, and that I could only afford $150-$200. They replied in three days saying that they had considered my offer and decided that they would rather sell it to a person who would treasure it for $200 than accept the $550 that a person had actually called and offered to pay because that person seemed like a "dealer or flipper".

Some folks sell these because they just want them gone and do not care, but I have found a LOT of folks really care about these machines and DO want them to go to a "good home"

Give it try. Be honest, tell them who you are and why you care.

They might not give a poop, but it is virtually pain free to try.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I would offer them $100 cash max. You would be surprised how "flexible" folks can be on these.

I saw an 1870's Willcox and Gibbs full treadle setup locally listed for $550. (yikes) but throwing caution to the wind, I sent them a message explaining who I was, why I wanted it so bad, and that I could only afford $150-$200. They replied in three days saying that they had considered my offer and decided that they would rather sell it to a person who would treasure it for $200 than accept the $550 that a person had actually called and offered to pay because that person seemed like a "dealer or flipper".

Some folks sell these because they just want them gone and do not care, but I have found a LOT of folks really care about these machines and DO want them to go to a "good home"

Give it try. Be honest, tell them who you are and why you care.

They might not give a poop, but it is virtually pain free to try.
Nicely done, but would a "dealer or flipper" really buy it for $550?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM

$400?!? I think they are off by a decimal place, honestly.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned

I agree, but I would guess the other person just sent an "is it available? i have cash" type of email. These folks were living in the very first house built in Stinson Beach California (just north of the Golden Gate Bridge) The machine was ordered and delivered three years after the house was built in 1870.

The house was more amazing than the machine. They had a pre-civil war swan neck rocker in their living room, hand planed and beaded wainscoting, a 15' tall stone fireplace, photos of the house from the 19th century, and more antiques than I could count... They were not concerned about the $$. They listed it at that price to keep "vultures" (their words) away.

He gave me directions to the house by saying go on highway 1 north until you see this, and sent me a painting that was done of the house and property a long time ago.. My DD and I had a great time. She is an amateur photographer and it was harder to get her out of the house than me...
Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM

That's an awesome story Steve.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 PM

I learned to sew on my mom's pink Atlas and when she passed away, I got it. I love it! (I was eight years old when she bought it and I am 64 now, so that machine has been around a long time and still sews great!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM

I would love to have a pink Atlas but that is too much money!!! Sewready you are so lucky to have your moms machine!