1953 Signature Elna

Old 01-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Default 1953 Signature Elna

So, anyone know about this one, should I invest the money in it? Didn't happen to see the pedal with it or plug in cord. But looked to be in ok condition. Needs cleaning. Heavy duty. Turned the crank and needle went up and down, forgot to check for bobbin though.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM

I don't know my older Elnas - mine is a 1973 model. but I've never heard of a Signature except in Montgomery Wards appliances and household goods. Do you have a picture? Is it green? The grasshoppers were popular about that time. It may not have a foot petal, but a knee lever.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM

I don't know about this particular machine but I love Elna's. I have a 1950 Grasshopper and a new 2006 Heirloom Edition that is my workhorse when not using my old Singers. The grasshopper has knee lever, It only does straight stitch. The later models have cams that drop in the top. They are all well made machines. I would not buy anything that costs much if I could not try it first. Are you sure it is called a Signature. I can not find anything on that model?? Maybe you saww the Elna Supermatic. This site will tell you a lot about the different models. http://www.squidoo.com/elna
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 AM

I have a 1953 Elna Supermatic...it is green. Is this the model you are talking about? First thing is that they operate with a knee lever, which are very hard to find if not with the machine. Power cord is easier, but still not easy. They have an internal friction wheel that goes flat if they sit for a long time, and it makes a really bad noise when you run them. So...I would consider carefully....and only buy one that has all it's parts (especially that wicked knee lever!), and one you can test drive.