1956 Singer 99K

Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 AM

I guess I was extremely fortunate to find my 99 in a table in excellent condition for $35! Could use some oiling at this point and needs the correct bobbin but that's it.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:08 AM

99s are so cute! They just beg to be used I have one tucked away, just waiting for me to tune her up and make her pretty again. She has a lot of crazing/cracks in her finish on the bed so she may be the one that I try Glenn's info/method to restore the finish.

I found another one in November at the thrift store in mint condition but didn't have enough $ so I ran to the ATM (they don't do holds) but when I got back, within 15 min, she was gone - I was very disappointed and thought that it just wasn't meant to be - hoped that the new owner would appreciate and use her instead of repurposing her into some kind of lamp.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:00 AM

I have seen them for about $45.00 here in NM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
She has a lot of crazing/cracks in her finish on the bed so she may be the one that I try Glenn's info/method to restore the finish.
Be sure to read everything and get a good idea what to expect - then practice on some piece of junk... you can even practice on furniture if it has shellac finish on it. Glenn's tutorial was not set up for someone to make a lot of money by fixing someone's mistakes - the more informed you are and the better you comprehend what you are doing the better your expectations will be met. You will not get a factory finish this way but you can get an improved looking machine. I have a couple with crazed finish that I'm working up my nerve to do. So far all I've done are some that were junk to begin with. Usually I stop too soon but that is ok it can be started over at any time. If you shoot a pic ahead of time & ask, Glenn might be able to tell you what to expect. I can tell you the results are good and a lot easier and cheaper than a repaint. For the old machines I think it is a great idea just to refinish them. It also preserves more of the character of the machine. Arm yourself with info before you start... Then don't get in a hurry.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 AM

Thanks Miriam for the advice - I think she will be my Spring project when the weather is nicer and I can open up the garage doors.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Thanks Miriam for the advice - I think she will be my Spring project when the weather is nicer and I can open up the garage doors.
read, read read and comprehend ask questions before you start
Old 01-01-2015, 07:26 PM

A luggage cart or a hand truck make life of a sewing machine person a lot easier. I do love the old all metal ones that are so well made.

Ethel