1956 Singer 99K

Old 12-31-2014, 08:04 AM

Default 1956 Singer 99K

A friend of mine has this Singer 99K. She is selling it, and I am interested.....This machine says it was made in Great Britain, and serial number indicated 1956. It has the manual, and does run, but needs adjustments. Case is in great shape as well. This isn't considered a featherweight, correct? I was really hoping for a tiny featherweight...but don't want to pass this up if it is a good deal. She is asking $150. I appreciate your opinions, please!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:05 AM

And I've tried to upload a pic.....have no idea what I am doing wrong...
Old 12-31-2014, 08:15 AM

Nope, it's not a featherweight by any means... it's a heavy little machine, but I love my 99! I purchased mine from another QB member for $100 about a year ago.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:41 AM

I have one sounds exactly like this one - same year and mine also made in GB!

It is a 3/4 size machine instead of being 1/2 size like a Featherweight. Still petite and very cute. VERY heavy though, even for its small size.

I got lucky with mine - I bought it at a thrift shop for $45, got the machine, the case, and the manual. It was "frozen" when I bought it, but just from old oil. Cleaned and lubed her up and she sews perfectly; didn't even have to adjust tension much. I didn't find a single speck of rust. I had to buy a set of feet separately, and my case is not in great shape but the machine itself looks practically new. My prettiest machine, for sure.

I kind of feel like $150 is a little high. I love mine but I wouldn't have paid that much. I'm not really sure what they sell for online, though - might want to look at completed listings on eBay and see what they're going for "out in the wild". If it comes with a ton of accessories that makes it more appealing, but they're also really easy to find separately because they're standard Singer low-shank pieces. (I bought a whole box of feet in a nice vintage green Singer box at an antique shop for $12, and a vintage Singer buttonholer and zig zagger for $5 each at a thrift shop.)

Mine also has very plain decals, if this one has snazzy decals that might make it more valuable.
Here's mine: (The case is more battered than it appears to be in this shot.)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504236[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer_99k_05.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM

Sewnoma...the one she has looks just like yours.....Thanks for your help! I so appreciate all the input!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:16 AM

I have the earlier model machine in the red/tan case, paid $75 for it.

I believe this machine (99K from mid 50's) only came with that one decal pattern.

I also bought the same machine in a cabinet for $100 - in about new condition. Had a pin jambed into the bobbin area and wouldn't move. Based on the condition (and that of the pin) that probably happened early in the life of the machine, and the owner just put it away as non-working and just used it as an end table (but at least not a plant stand)

I also think $150 is about $50 to high for one that needs service. However, if it was fully serviced, then I think $200 would be OK. So it's not an outragious price, just on the high end.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

I have a Singer 99 and love it - wiring was shot
My DGD Miss M totally loves that machine - she grabs it before anything else in here.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hc-singer-006.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 09:06 PM

Cathy, your machine is gorgeous! Pristine condition!

Jeanette
Old 01-01-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Nope, it's not a featherweight by any means... it's a heavy little machine, but I love my 99! I purchased mine from another QB member for $100 about a year ago.
Last week I saw a Kenmore at St. Vinny's for $20.00. I was very tempted, so I tried to lift it for some reason. I couldn't even get it off the shelf. It was on a shelf at knee level, and it felt like it was bolted down. I'm still tempted, but I don't think I would be able to carry it to my car.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

HE HE HE around here they will help you carry it to your car... Ask me how I know. Getting it in the house is another story.