201 Walking Foot Problem

Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Default 201 Walking Foot Problem

I am trying to do SITD on my Singer 201. I bought the correct walking foot for this machine from sew-classic. Now the problem seems to be that the foot doesn't seem to be feeding the top layer at all. I have tried working with the pressure foot knob on top of the machine but I can't see any difference when I have it all the way down or when I have it unscrewed about 1/4 of an inch. I just can't figure out why the walking foot doesn't want to feed. I have looked at it beside my brother walking foot and they both seem to work the same way. However, I have no trouble with the brother walking foot feeding properly. Do any of the wonderful, knowledgeable people on this board have an answer for me.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM

I'm having trouble with my walking foot for my 201 also. Look forward to reading the responses
Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 PM

I returned a straight stitch walking foot to Sew-Classic because of that very reason just before Christmas. It looked identical to the others as it worked, but it just wouldn't feed the fabric.

I don't know what it's troubles were.

Joe
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM

And you're sure it's the straight stitch walking foot that is for smaller feed dogs? That's troubling...
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I am trying to do SITD on my Singer 201. I bought the correct walking foot for this machine from sew-classic. Now the problem seems to be that the foot doesn't seem to be feeding the top layer at all. I have tried working with the pressure foot knob on top of the machine but I can't see any difference when I have it all the way down or when I have it unscrewed about 1/4 of an inch. I just can't figure out why the walking foot doesn't want to feed. I have looked at it beside my brother walking foot and they both seem to work the same way. However, I have no trouble with the brother walking foot feeding properly. Do any of the wonderful, knowledgeable people on this board have an answer for me.
I did some adjustments to my machine by setting the tension looser and also by unscrewing the pressure so there is less pressure on the foot. I then did a practice quilt sandwich and it seems to be working a lot better. I am not sure how far up you can screw the pressure foot but I may try doing it a little more.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 PM

It sounds like the wrong walking foot, and that is not like Jenny at Sew Classic. E-mail her and see what she says. She'll make it right for you. You do have the piece of projecting metal around the needle screw, right? And the screw on the left side of the foot is tight?