Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 221 feather weight ??

Blog Entries

Lightbulb 221 feather weight ??

My 221 feather sew really good in very good shape, has been cleaned & serviced.
    I can sew away and do well, then the top may not sew well, but mostly the bottom has trouble.
    I can rethread one or more times and it works again. The bottom I keep having trouble with.
    I take bobbin out redo and redo no help. It has no problem coming up and to top thread and begin
    Sewing but the bottom stiches are hit and miss a mess at times and then ok.
    Any ideas? Thanks!

Try a new bobbin or new needle?

Blog Entries
    Why is my sewing machine not stitching??? a link to some trouble shooting info. If you still have trouble let me know. Some of those links may need to be cut and pasted.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    thanks will try

Blog Entries
    Is the bobbin part in the right place? Here is a link about a FW my sister and I cleaned up for my mom. There should be a pic of how the finger thing on the bottom should go so it doesn't twirl around. See page 2 and window 15 in the link. Link: The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight
    There is lots of other info there as well as a manual.
    Be sure to check your manual to see which way the needle should be inserted and then make sure the thread goes through the needle the right direction when you thread the machine.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I had this problem with a machine I was working on. There were tiny, and I repeat tiny pieces of thread caught in the bobbin. The thing that holds the bobbin, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I spent hours working on getting these little threads out, after that it sewed like the little champ it was.

Quote Originally Posted by barb12makeitsew View Post
    I had this problem with a machine I was working on. There were tiny, and I repeat tiny pieces of thread caught in the bobbin. The thing that holds the bobbin, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I spent hours working on getting these little threads out, after that it sewed like the little champ it was.
    I've heard it called the bobbin case base. Its a bugger to get threads out from behind there. I service FWs and that's the thing I hate doing most.
    Sharon

My suggestion if the others don't fix it, did you start out with bobbin that you wound? Sometimes we pick up a pre-wound bobbin, only to find out it has several other colors beneath.

Blog Entries
    I have rethreaded it many times, taken bobbin out an redone and repaced it. I oly have new bobbins, I wound.
    Cleaned, i will clean again as I only cleaned the bobbin & case, will clean in and around where you put the bobbin in.
    My mother in law give me her sewing machine, she thinks it from 1953. Not used alot.

I had it cleaned and serviced. When i got it a few months ago. thank you for the help, i will keep working on it.

Blog Entries
    are you putting the needle in with the flat in the right direction? Are you threading right to left? Check your manual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast