Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 301 bobbin tension

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    91

    Question 301 bobbin tension

    My 301A sews, but the bobbin is having tension problems. All loose and thready. What could be the problem???????I really want to get her going.

  2. #2
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,037
    Blog Entries
    2
    If you thread the needle from left to right instead of right to left it will do that - check your manual.

    Just a precaution, check how your throat plate and the little notch for the bobbin holder line up. There is a picture of one on a post about cleaning up a FW it should look like that. The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight look at window 15. It is the same for the 301. Also window 4 and picture 3 with it assembled.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  3. #3
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    I also have had my 301/FW bobbins wind looser if I wind it on the Sidewinder rather than wind it on the machine...be sure it winds tightly. Also don't fill it all the way. It's a smaller bobbin, so you'll want to wind a few more, but don't over-fill them. That creates a problem, too.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108
    The tension screw might need to be tightened on the bobbin case. I would make sure to check with a bobbin wound on the 301, and like others have mentioned, make sure the machine is threaded correctly. Was it sewing correctly before, or is this a new to you machine?

    If you just got it, and the machine was dirty, it would probably be a good idea to take the thread tension unit apart and clean it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member oldtnquiltinglady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, TN
    Posts
    764
    Blog Entries
    7
    I have just bought a 301 and am having a problem with the tension on it. Is the tension thingy hard to take apart and put back together? It seems pretty dirty and sticky like.....

    Jo Ann

  6. #6
    Super Member Rumbols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,230
    I recently bougth a 301 on Ebay and it had the same problem even after I cleaned her up really good. I remember how my sewing teacher in grade school (dating myself I am sure) taught me to check the bobbin tension. I put the bobbin in the bobbin case and just held the whole thing up by the thread and let the bobbin case and bobbin drop. Found that the bobbin case was not tight at all and the whole thing fell too fast. Used a screw driver to tighten the bobbin tension and tested again. She was much slower falling that time. So I threaded her up and when I started sewing, she sewed like a dream. Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    I have just bought a 301 and am having a problem with the tension on it. Is the tension thingy hard to take apart and put back together? It seems pretty dirty and sticky like.....

    Jo Ann
    It is not hard to take apart and put back together. The manual has pictures to guide you. Just take it slow and look at it for a while to remember how it goes. I like to lay out the pieces in the order I took them off. A digital camera could be helpful if you are very nervous about it. You could take pictures of how the parts go together. If it is dirty and sticky if needs to be cleaned.

  8. #8
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,037
    Blog Entries
    2
    OH it is sticky! Yuck - yeah take it apart and clean it. The first time you do that is the hardest. The manual should have instructions how to do that. Take lots of pictures. Use a muffin pan or something to keep things in order that you took them out. It helps to know which way things are turned. Go slow. Keep DH out - (lock him in the basement) Read the instructions several times. It is like making a quilt - you have to read the instructions and work up your nerve. Clean as you go. Here is a generic type manual. You will need to look at your type of tension and then go from there - it has info your owner's manual doesn't have. http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf the info for the later 66 and 99 should work. You can print it out and make notes or what ever you need to do.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  9. #9
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,512
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    OH it is sticky! Yuck - yeah take it apart and clean it. The first time you do that is the hardest. The manual should have instructions how to do that. Take lots of pictures. Use a muffin pan or something to keep things in order that you took them out. It helps to know which way things are turned. Go slow. Keep DH out - (lock him in the basement) Read the instructions several times. It is like making a quilt - you have to read the instructions and work up your nerve. Clean as you go. Here is a generic type manual. You will need to look at your type of tension and then go from there - it has info your owner's manual doesn't have. http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf the info for the later 66 and 99 should work. You can print it out and make notes or what ever you need to do.
    OK ladies, lets not pick on the hubbies. FYI I can fix a tensioner too. And I don't need a pair of water pump pliers and a hammer to do it.

    miriam, Thanks for the tensioner link. One more fix-it manual for my library.

    Joe

  10. #10
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,037
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    OK ladies, lets not pick on the hubbies. FYI I can fix a tensioner too. And I don't need a pair of water pump pliers and a hammer to do it.

    miriam, Thanks for the tensioner link. One more fix-it manual for my library.

    Joe
    Sorry Joe - didn't mean to step on your feelings again.
    My experience is that my DH will use more force than I will and that can be fatal - If I need force I call him in and then hover and kick him out once the force bit is over - he's good natured about it and has enough other stuff to do... LOL.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.