Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 306w

306w

A friend was given a 306W and I am trying to get it running for her. It was sitting in an airplane hanger for many years. The cords are very brittle and are going to need replaced but the machine will turn on. I have cleaned it up but the machine but it is still a bit stuck. The wheel will only turn if you are trying to wind the bobbin. When I try to re-engage the machine to make it sew, it won't budge. I oiled it and it sat overnight, which helped a bit. I can get it to move the needle bar a bit but the feed dogs and needle still won't budge. Any suggestions?

I have a 306 W. You may want to try this...In the hand wheel there is a large silver "inner" wheel. Hold the outer wheel and tighten the inner "wheel". When filling bobbins on the 306 W this "inner" wheel or large screw gets loosened . This will allow the bobbin to fill with out the needle being engaged.
    Needles for this machine can be tough to come by as it takes a shorter needle. If you need any info on the Shmetz number that fits just send me a PM.
    The 306W is areal work horse of a machine , Mine was my mom's and saw decades of HARD use before I got it. Mine still runs like a champ and can tackle fabric that my other machine can't.
    I have the original manual for this machine if you need any assitance.
    Last edited by Lori S; 12-15-2012 at 06:54 AM.

It's still stuck somewhere. Do you have any Triflow? You need to hit every spot that metal hits metal and clean it well. There's surely still gunk or rust stuck somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Also oil it and let it sit to soak it all up...I am a newbie, but I have learned a bit of patience is also needed

Blog Entries
    here is where we cleaned up a 319 - very similar machine:
    Singer 319 in need of TLC
    a lot of the info people posted on there will apply to your 306 as well.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal.
    It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill