Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 401, or 404? Which

401, or 404? Which

I am thinking of replacing my Janome with a vintage machine that can do zigzag. Thinking 401, 403 or 404. Leaning to the 404, any opinions? Just love the vintage machines.

The 404 doesn't zigzag it is a straight stitch only machine. The 401 & 403 do zigzag.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    I am thinking of replacing my Janome with a vintage machine that can do zigzag. Thinking 401, 403 or 404. Leaning to the 404, any opinions? Just love the vintage machines.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

The 237 is a nice ZZ machine also.

Blog Entries
    I have the 401, I love it, very strong machine and zig zag like crazy!

Blog Entries
    Differences between the Singer 500 and the Singer 503 machines
    I lover the Singer 403 - 404 will zig zag if you have a slant needle zig zag attachment.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I vote for a 401a, which I own. It does beautiful decorative stitches, has all metal gears, and LOVES to run fast!

My 401 takes cams so has a number of stitches including zz. It also has built in stitches, including zz. It easily sews through heavy quilts - and without a walking foot! (I could use one if I wanted.) It is easy to see the needle and what you are working on. You can use two needles in it. There are two ways to thread it. It's not fussy. It's a great machine with a lot of good features and few drawbacks. It does like to be used frequently or the grease on the gears can get thick. And I don't like the way the feed dogs "drop"; basically, it raises the sewing surface instead. I've never tried free motion quilting on it; it has a horizontal bobbin and the best vintage fm machines have vertical bobbins. It is not an intuitive machine, so be sure you get a manual, which you can get online. If I could keep only a handful of my machines, my Singer 401 would be one of them.

401 Hands Down, no need to look further.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
    My 401 takes cams so has a number of stitches including zz. It also has built in stitches, including zz. It easily sews through heavy quilts - and without a walking foot! (I could use one if I wanted.) It is easy to see the needle and what you are working on. You can use two needles in it. There are two ways to thread it. It's not fussy. It's a great machine with a lot of good features and few drawbacks. It does like to be used frequently or the grease on the gears can get thick. And I don't like the way the feed dogs "drop"; basically, it raises the sewing surface instead. I've never tried free motion quilting on it; it has a horizontal bobbin and the best vintage fm machines have vertical bobbins. It is not an intuitive machine, so be sure you get a manual, which you can get online. If I could keep only a handful of my machines, my Singer 401 would be one of them.
    thanks for the information, given me food for thought.

I also have a 401A. It is my "go to" machine...love it! A real work horse.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.