Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 712T flatbed

712T flatbed

Could someone explain how this Janome 712T works. It says its a treadle. But it mentions a motor so im confused I thought. Had found the perfect machine to fit in my treadle cabinet so do you treadle with it?It mentions Amish people using it because they don't have power usually.

The 712 T is a Janome 712 without a motor. It has a special hand wheel for use with a treadle belt. The adds I've seen state that the machine can not be motorized. I've seen a motorized 712 and the motor is internal, so I suspect the motor parts are just not there. What ever else is different I don't know.
    { http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...Specialty/712T }

Joe

I really wonder how well it will treadle since it only weighs 12.5 pounds. I was looking at the specifications on the Janome website.
    Sharon

If I could get one for cheep I'd put it in a treadle and find out. I suspect it would work OK. I know what the insides look like as the Janomes and Singers are made very similar on the cheaper models. You can see the family resemblance when you look at them.

Since you'd be turning it by a treadle it's not gonna be turning as fast as an electric version so the plastic insides should last a while.

Supposedly the Amish use them so they must be fairly well made. At least you'd think so.

Joe

I am seriously thinking about trying to find one. But wish I could see it at a dealer to see how it works. I thought maybe someone on here has one of them I have a cabinet for a treadle. Just need a head to fit in it

ollie1shoe,

If you can find a regular 712 check that out too. Other than the method of drive: electric or treadle, they function the same.

Joe

Captain Dick Wightman has a review from a while ago on Treadleon.com.