87 and Still Quilting!

Old 04-20-2015, 12:07 PM

I for one will be ecstatic if I can quilt into my 80's. My mom had to quit due to her health (parkinsons) by about 80, and my MIL died from brain cancer in her 70's.

I'm figuring I've got 20 years to use up what I've already accumulated, and enjoy my sewing machine collection for 10 -15 years, and then after I retire, start finding new homes for all but a few. If I'm still able to quilt at 75, I'll keep at it, but I really do want my stash gone by that time, and then just do them one at a time and enjoy it.

Believe me - buying fabric is more addicting than buying sewing machines!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I for one will be ecstatic if I can quilt into my 80's. My mom had to quit due to her health (parkinsons) by about 80, and my MIL died from brain cancer in her 70's.

I'm figuring I've got 20 years to use up what I've already accumulated, and enjoy my sewing machine collection for 10 -15 years, and then after I retire, start finding new homes for all but a few. If I'm still able to quilt at 75, I'll keep at it, but I really do want my stash gone by that time, and then just do them one at a time and enjoy it.

Believe me - buying fabric is more addicting than buying sewing machines!
So - - - How does one get rid of stash? I started quilting to use up a bushel basket of fabric. Now I have at least 15 bushel baskets full.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 AM

Mavita (wow, I love that name!) - that does seem to happen . . . most swear scraps breed when left in the dark.

I just keep telling myself I need to STOP buying. I jump started my stash by buying a few pickup loads from an estate sale - so I suppose if my stuff gets passed on the same way - that will be OK too.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:57 AM

That's what I want to do when I'm old-er...I want to sew and quilt till I enter the great quilt shop in the sky...
Old 04-25-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Had a wonderful visit with and 87 yr. old cousin who lives in the same nursing home as my father. I knocked on her door and found her sitting in her chair, lap covered by a quilt she pieced and was hand quilting. NEXT TIME I'LL BRING A CAMERA. On the table sat her Bernina Minimatic (must be from the 1950's, I'd guess), and she had me open a drawer and bring her some quilt blocks she received many years ago from her aunt (perfectly embroidered). She still intends to make them into a quilt top. They are well over 100 years old. My cousin said she's the only resident with a sewing machine in that nursing home!

I want to be her when the day comes that I live in a nursing home - still making beautiful quilts!
And I promise to take & share photos next time!
Yes! A sewing machine and a laptop. My family can come and visit my 'craft room' when they have time. LOL